Need recommendations for timer

We have a 2 speed pump, that I have run on low 95% of the time, in the 2 years since we built the pool. I really don't want to put a timer on it (something about the water just sitting there not circulating bothers me!) but hubby says we must try to cut down on elec usage. Can a timer be used with a 2 speed pump? Would it just be a matter of having the switch on low, and the timer would just cut it on and off, without changing it to high? That is what I want, I only run on high when I add chemicals, or run the Polaris. We have a separate booster pump for the Polaris, would that be affected by the timer? I don't really want the Polaris on unless I go out and cut it on.

What is a good timer to get? Would any electrician be qualified to install a timer, or does it have to be someone who knows something about pool equipment? Sorry for ignorant questions!

Most people get an Intermatic timer, usually something like the PF1102T or PF1103T. They have many models with various features. Most any electrician should be able to install one.

There are various ways to wire up a two speed pump. It would be simple enough to do it the way you describe.

Another question...my pump is a 2 speed (1.5/.25), so I guess that means it runs at .25 HP on low. I run it now 24/7 on low. We live in S.C., so it gets hot here in the summer. My water temps get up in the mid 90's in the hottest part of the summer. I'm very afraid of having the water just sitting there (am I asking for algae?), but everything I read says that it's not necessary to run 24/7, but maybe those people don't have 2 speed pumps? I can definitely see the advantage of having a timer for a one speed pump, but I'm just not sure about the advantage when I already run it on low.

I don't know how to compute how long one turnover would be on low speed for my pool, so if I take a wild guess, and run it on low for 2 cycles, 6 hours each, in 24 hours, would that probably be enough?

The real test of pump run time is how the water looks, not the complex turn-over calculation. If you can shorten the run time and still have the water look good then you are saving electricity without any negatives. Now it often happens that a two speed pump running on low needs to be on 24 hours/day at the peak of the summer to keep the water looking good, but shorter run times would work in the spring and fall.

I've seen the PF1103T mentioned a lot. Is there an equivalent timer WITHOUT freeze protection for those of us that close our pools?

I was looking at the T101, and wondering if it would be sufficient. It's a 40 amp timer that supports a 2hp motor at 120V (which is exactly what my pump is).

I'd just hate to spend $170 on a timer when the $59 timer will get the job done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.