Need Plumbing advice since my pool builder decided to disappear.

kalgwl

Oct 13, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I'm in the middle of a pool build and the builder I was using has disappeared. I need to get water moving & finish up some plumbing.
Here is what has been completed:
*Pool is in the ground with liner installed and water still below the skimmers. (No backfill in overdig but footer is poured)
*All plumbing to pool is done but stops at pool pad. (None of the equipment was on pad but I have began placing it.)
*I also have a spillover spa I need to consider when plumbing.

Please look at the pictures I have attached.

Some of my main questions involve plumbing the spa.

In the picture of the pump I have a jandy 3 way valve I plan to use. On the right side it will have 2 skimmer lines coming in & on the left will be the spa drain. Is this correct or best way to plumb?

Return plumbing questions:
Will be using another jandy 3 way for returns
*One line returning water to pool & the other to the spa.

I want to be able to go into spa only mode & only heat & circulate the spa water. (Basically, stop spillover & only spa water in spa)

Thanks for any help & advice.

781ca9bd03b7ead68988061f772569e6.jpg
c63b7c2b83bc07202306a785f686d9b5.jpg
dc32650b5de827ee624fe962467af16f.jpg
08da16454cf64bdcc7b52dd69770b97a.jpg
5f23c10d0a179d441baf97937dda69f5.jpg

What you were proposing for the suction side will work no problem. You should either put shut-off valves on the two skimmers or another three-way valve between the two skimmers so that you can control how much suction comes from each. I would use another three-way valve.

For the return side having one pipe go to the pool and one pipe go to the spa is correct. I might suggest adding a small pipe and a valve between the pool and spa returns that you can use as your makeup / spillover pipe. This will allow you to have the three-way valve either 100% pool or 100% Spa but the makeup valve would control the amount spilled over from pool mode into the spa. The alternative is to just not turn the three way all the way to 100% pool so that some water goes to the spot. Either way will work fine.

Where do I plumb in the spa make up line at the pad & spa? My spa is still in the crate but only appears to have a return & suction pipe.
also, do I need a check valve somewhere so spa doesn’t drain out when pump is off?
thanks for the advice so far.

Hold on. Is the spa going to be spilling into the pool? I'm a little confused by your statement that it's still sitting in a crate that it might be a stand-alone Spa.

Hold on. Is the spa going to be spilling into the pool? I'm a little confused by your statement that it's still sitting in a crate that it might be a stand-alone Spa.

Yes, it is a spillover spa I just haven't removed it from the crate. I only see 2 lines (return & suction)
I probably need to get inside crate & see if there are more lines.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, sorry, I see them now, just add two on the filter. If you ever have to remove the multi port you will cry the way it is now.

Thanks for the advice. I will add them.

If the spa will be above the pool meaning the spa water level will be higher than their pool water level, then you also need a check valve on the spa return line. And if you go with a makeup valve between the pool return and Spa return, you would also need a check valve on that line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the spa will be above the pool meaning the spa water level will be higher than their pool water level, then you also need a check valve on the spa return line. And if you go with a makeup valve between the pool return and Spa return, you would also need a check valve on that line.

Yes, the spa water level will be above the pool water level. I will put a check valve on spa return but still confused on how to plumb the makeup line. Do I need a makeup line?

One thing you can do better than most Builders, is to leave a lot of extra space on your equipment pad between fittings. So that if you have to do a repair or a change it will be much easier

Where do I plumb in the spa make up line at the pad & spa? My spa is still in the crate but only appears to have a return & suction pipe.
also, do I need a check valve somewhere so spa doesn’t drain out when pump is off?
thanks for the advice so far.

OP, I don't think you will be asking these questions if you spent time looking at the pad layout I posted in post# 3. Anyway, just thought I could help. Good luck!

Meadow,
I looked at the post you sent but was still confused with the make up line for the spa. The diagram also didn't show a SWG plumbed in adding some more confusion. I searched through the many posts here & figured most of the plumbing out but this whole process has become stressful and time sensitive since the builder flaked out on me.

Sounds good.
I'm sure this forum will steer you in the right direction. Posting pictures of your supposed to be raised spa will help us to help you. Am I understanding you're wanting to integrate a portable spa to your IG pool?

Interested to follow your build and learn along with you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.