Need help with old Hayward AstroLight

dschlic1

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2007
Valrico, FL
The pool light has not worked for some time, so recently I had some free time, and I decided to get it working. First the relay in my AquaPlus controller, was clicking in, but not passing electricity. I have problems wit ants getting it. I changed our the relay, and then found that the transformer was bad. I replaced that and then discovered that the 100 W bulbe in the light fixture was bad.

Problem #1. It looks like the conduit between the light nacelle and the above ground connection box has collapsed around the cable. I cannot get the cable to budge. There was enough cable in the nacelle to allow me to get the light fixture out of the water to replace the bulb. I replaced the bulb and gasket. The light worked for several hours and was still working when I turned it off.

Problem #2. Several days later, I turned the light on, but it did not work. Did some checking and the bulb is out again. When I replaced the bulb, I was careful to handle it with a paper towel not letting my hand touch the bulb.

I belive that the light fixture part number is Hayward SP0580. There is no water in the light fixture that I can see. Any thoughts on why the bulb went out so soon? Would it be better to replace with a LED model? If so can you make some recommendations. Because of problem #1, it looks like I am stuck with the existing fixture.

It doesn't sound like your wire is compromised otherwise your GFCI would be popping. When you changed the light bulb, wipe it down with alcohol or acetone to remove any oils. Just dry wiping with a paper towel doesn't get the oils off in my experience. Also check the voltage in the socket. If that is not stable it will cause issues with the light.

If I am not mistaken the Astrolight you have can accommodate a regular household LED bulb. I would check on that, as I have halogen bulbs.

As to number #1 sometimes the wire is caulked in the back of the niche. And that needs to be chipped out to pull the wire.

I agree that converting the light system to 120VAC would not be easy. First off I don't know if the light socket is rated for 120VAC. I would also have to remove the transformer and replace the non-GFCI breaker with a GFCI one. In any case the whole process of just changing the bulb is too onerous to due frequently.

There is zero difference between 12 and 120 volt light housings. Same Edison style E26 screw base. 120V systems are illegal in many parts of the country for a reason. If you already have 12v stick with it. Do the disconnect the ground wire test first.

What is the "disconnect the ground wire test"? I disconnected the pool light leads from the transformer and checked resistance between the two power wires. It is open circuit. I have not performed any grounding tests.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.