Need help with new fill.

RiFisher

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 1, 2010
Southeastern NC
We had the water almost perfect and got a hole in the liner from the pool vac I think. Got the hole patched and had to refill about 75% of the water. The water that we filled with was county water (regular tap water). Now the water is clear but has a yellow tint to it. Need a little help please.

FC 5
CC 0
ph 7.8
TA 120
CYA 20

Put CYA in last Wednesday and started the pump.

pool61817.jpg

Seem to be having a little trouble attaching a picture.

Attachments

• pool61817.jpg
    pool61817.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 42
Well that stinks. Not only about the hole in the liner, but it would appear the replacement water had iron in it. That's a clear tint that sure looks like iron to me. Bring the pH down ASAP to about 7.2, and increase the CYA to at least 30, perhaps even 40 now that summer is about here. Keep the FC in that 5-6 range and see if lowering the pH helps. If not, you may need to review the TFP Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains page. A good sequestrant may be in order.

Thank You Texas Splash. I put the muriatic acid in it after your reply. Just tested the water again and these are the results.

FC 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 100
CYA 20

Will have to get more stabilizer tomorrow and look into the sequestrant.
I think I'm going to have to replace the liner next year. Just trying to get through this summer with what I have.
Will the filter eventually filter this out?

The sequestant will keep the iron in suspension so it doesn't turn the water brown or stain the pool. If the iron drops out of suspension and the chlorine level is high enough it will turn the water brown. Bad news is that you would have brown water, good news would be that the brown is from rust which does filter out over time. A lot of time, but it will eventually filter out. I would follow the advice from Texas Splash and try to keep the iron in suspension.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.