Need help understanding electrical bonding and my pool

There was some good info disseminated here. However, I think some people still don't fully understand the purpose of the bonding grid and conductive surfaces/materials. Everything in the universe has a certain electrical potential. When you have two materials at different potentials and you put a connection between them you have voltage. This is the physics that allows electricity to work. Until there is a potential difference, there is no voltage. The ground around the pool will be at a certain potential and the water will be at one as well. As long as they are close enough in potential to each other, you may not feel anything. Most times this is the case. However, if the potential difference is great enough you will feel the "tingle" Children and women feel this faster than men do in most cases.

I had a customer with an above ground pool years ago that the kids were always complaining about getting shocked when getting out of the pool. The mom rarely ever used the pool but the dad did. He said he never felt anything but one time when his wife did she got hit pretty hard. The situation was this. A metal rail A frame ladder with plastic steps was sitting on piece of wood on the outside of the pool. The paint on the ladder was pretty thin and in some places was scratched ion both the pool and the outside of the pool. This was effectively bonded to the water and isolated from the grass around the pool. The pool water being a large mass had a lot of capacitance for electrical storage and the earth being a large mass does as well. When they would come down off of the ladder and touch the grass they would become the conductor between the two voltage potentials and be the link that allows them to try to equalize. once we fixed the bonding (the pool installer said it was not needed) the entire problem went away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.