Need help....stains are getting worse!

Am results as of 8:30 am PST:

FC = 14.5
CC = 0
CYA = 35

YAY obviously there was something in there at the beginning of the shock which is now just dust caught in my filter. FYI I did cut a small pepper tree down next to the pool yesterday, tried not to get anything in the water but dust, pollen and other assorted material I'm sure found its way in.

Linen: I was shooting for CYA 40

So does this mean I should move on to balancing the remaining chems such as TA which is now at 140? I should do a new complete set of tests now as well?

-8lbcalico

8lbcalico said:
YAY obviously there was something in there at the beginning of the shock which is now just dust caught in my filter.
I am not sure I agree that you had "something" in there. The drop you saw last afternoon might have just been from burn off due to the waning sunlight.

Linen: I was shooting for CYA 40
Sounds good, then you normal FC minimum level should be 3.

So does this mean I should move on to balancing the remaining chems such as TA which is now at 140?
If you are having significant ph rise, i.e. needing to add muratic acid often, then I might...but if not, I would not worry about it. Since you have plaster, use poolcalculator to check your csi...I got 0.23, so you should be good.

I don't necessarily understand the CSI part yet but I see that at my current levels -0.09 the calc calls it balanced. I'll have to learn more about this reading later. FYI I was having to add muriatic acid allot but in the last few days it has been fairly stable at 7.2

Okay so then I'm balanced? Should I start a new thread for the copper staining? Or is there more to do on the balancing act? Can the kids and wifey swim?

-8lbcalico

8lbcalico said:
Should I start a new thread for the copper staining? Or is there more to do on the balancing act?
I guess I would keep it in this one so people can see you have you chemistry under control. I assume you have read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/metal stains. Have you tried the Vitamin C trick yet?

Can the kids and wifey swim?
If you are below FC shock level for your pool yes, and if I was you, I would join em :mrgreen:

Not below FC shock yet but by mid to late afternoon and probably tomorrow it may be. Kind of answers another question about heavy pool loads and bringing the FC high to ensure there is enough chlorine to last the day. Perhaps I shouldn't shock my guests lol. On the other hand some I would like to shock.

As for the article yes I have, in fact it was by that article I found this site on google. The calcium test was inconclusive, no change. I'm going to go take some photos and upload them.

Ahhh copper and scale:

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/29366692 ... s?h=d1c239

Click and enjoy, if you like I can give you the back story that may just earn me the sites poster boy award of what NOT to do! To sum it up: store tests, copper algaecide treatments in unbalanced sometimes untested water, large amounts of chlorine added but only once every two weeks and a 3 year old OTO test kit that was stored outside. Yep...I was one of those guys!

To be honest I didn't deserve to even own a pool, hopefully this site can change that for me and most importantly my family. :hammer:

No stain experts here?

Talked with the folks at Jack's Magic he seems confident he can remove the stains but the process may cost me anywhere from 200 to 300 in materials plus my time. Does this sound right? Is this the route I should take?

8lbcalico said:
No stain experts here?

Talked with the folks at Jack's Magic he seems confident he can remove the stains but the process may cost me anywhere from 200 to 300 in materials plus my time. Does this sound right? Is this the route I should take?
BUMP

Hey 8lbcalico,

I thought I would bump this thread, maybe someone with more knowledge that me on stains can help?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.