Need help sizing pool pump!!

May 23, 2013
Hey guys, i dont post much here, but have read a lot! the site is so helpful!

Ok here is the deal..

27' diameter pool has 48" walls, have expandable liner that is about 5.5' in the center. so maybe 19k gallons?

i have a Hayward pro series sand filter (s180t).

it has a flotec 1.5 on it previously... i feel it was probably over sized. i forgot to pull the plug before winter and it froze and busted. so was going to get a new pump.. when i saw the price for this flotec i started thinking maybe i dont need so much pump...
can someone direct me on a pump that would work better or more efficiently for my application?

any help is appreciated!

Hi Mike,

I personally am a subscriber to get the biggest pump you can afford that your power mains can handle and that won't burst your pipes or equipment. :)

I'm sure some of the smarter folks on here will reply - but I don't think you're going to get more efficiency with a cheaper pump. Some of the really efficient pumps with the programmable RPMs, etc, are going to be a lot more than the 1.5 HP Flotec. For 19000 gallons, I can't imagine going much lower than 1.5HP. You could also invest in a timer if you don't have one. I believe most pools can get back on 10 or so hours of pumping per day during high season.

Good luck!

Take care,
Mo

If all you have is a pump and filter for an above ground pool you would probably be fine with a 1/2hp pump. If you want to save move on the electric bill buy a 2-speed 1hp pump and run it on low.

I personally am a subscriber to get the biggest pump you can afford that your power mains can handle and that won't burst your pipes or equipment.
Well, that's not accurate advice. It is pointless to overdrive your filter or pump excessive water through your system that serves no purpose except to drive your electric bill skyward.

Match a pump to a filter and both of them to your pool,

CJadamec has your pump sized correctly for you......I would follow his guidelines.

Inyopool is a supporter of this site and has great customer service and a lot of information on their site. I wouldn't have any problems recommending any of the brands on their site. Amazon is also a good place to look for product reviews. For that size pump all the major brands are about equal. A 2-speed pump will be more money than the single speed but you should recoup the added upfront cost in utility savings in a season or two.

Be careful when comparing pumps because label HP is almost useless. But your pool sounds like an AG pool (a detailed signature would help) and AG pumps tend to cost less than an IG pump. The two speed Pentair Dynamo or OptiFlo are good pumps as well as the Hayward Matrix. Get the smallest two speed you can find at a good price

thanks guys. Yes it is an above ground pool. i will add some info to my sig!

I appreciate it!! the flotec i currently have is well over $400.00 and the pumps you suggested even 1hp 2 speed pumps look to be a little under 300 or right at 300.
so if these will work well then i think that settles it. now a 2 speed pump should be run at the faster speed while getting pool back up in the spring, but then could slow it down for normal maintenance?

looking at these two
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00212NNU4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AWFPPQUZBOHNP
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008F874V2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Either one should work fine.

so if these will work well then i think that settles it. now a 2 speed pump should be run at the faster speed while getting pool back up in the spring, but then could slow it down for normal maintenance?
Yes. If you use an automated cleaner, you may need high speed for that as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mike,

I have a 2-speed pump (low and high) for my 27' round AG pool. I run my pump on Low speed 24/7 for regular filtering and skimming of the pool. Now that I have a robot cleaner, the only times I ever run my pump in high speed is when I am adding chemicals or want to vacuum my pool manually (i.e., my exercise routine). Most here would probably even contend that running it on low for 24/7 is overkill but since my power bill only changed around $10/month, I am not that concerned. Having no debris floating in the water is worth that to me.

I cannot recommend one pump from another since I have not owned mine long enough to determine what is a good pump and what is a bad. But I am interested to hear what you find out.

If our pump froze it's possible you just need the wet side and keep your existing motor. Won't change your electric bill but will be cheaper than new motor and pump
Yes i have thought to do that as well.. mine is pretty old, easily over 12 years, so i figured i may should just get a new one.

Mike,

I have a 2-speed pump (low and high) for my 27' round AG pool. I run my pump on Low speed 24/7 for regular filtering and skimming of the pool. Now that I have a robot cleaner, the only times I ever run my pump in high speed is when I am adding chemicals or want to vacuum my pool manually (i.e., my exercise routine). Most here would probably even contend that running it on low for 24/7 is overkill but since my power bill only changed around $10/month, I am not that concerned. Having no debris floating in the water is worth that to me.

I cannot recommend one pump from another since I have not owned mine long enough to determine what is a good pump and what is a bad. But I am interested to hear what you find out.

thanks for the help! i agree, i may run mine more frequent on low to keep the bugs off the surface as well as the cottonwood tree cotton!

one more question, do you think i damaged my new filter by not winterizing? i have never made this mistake before but when winter got here and temps got in the teens i thought... oh no the pool. it was to late and the pump was ruined.

If so how can i check or just run it and see what it does when i get my new pump?

Unless you can see a crack somewhere it might be difficult to tell. Once the pump is running, you will know for sure. But it takes the filter a lot longer to freeze than the pump because of the volume of water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.