NEED HELP! Opening pool myself for the first time!

NCMimi

Gold Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Elon, NC
My dear son-in-law helped me get the pool uncovered and the pump running. This is year #4 and for the first time on opening, the pool looks AWFUL. I don’t even ewant to say the word ‘algae’, but I am pretty sure that’s what I am seeing. Cloudy water, lots of pollen, greenish tint, something coating the bottom ... YUCK. I checked the levels and this is what I got:
FC 0
CC 0 (I had to add quite a few dippers of the powder to get a light pink color but it went away on the first drop of R-0871, then no color change with the 5 drops of R-0003)
TA 70
Ph 7.0
CH 150
CYA 50

I am thinking I need to SLAM and according to the TFP calculator I need 4.5 gallons of 10% bleach to do this. I have been running the pump overnight, and have vacuumed twice to remove debris. I plan to brush the pool well before beginning the SLAM. Is there anything else I need to do? Do I add all of the liquid bleach in at once? I apologize if this information is somewhere else, but I have looked and can’t find it. I found the SLAM posts, but never could figure out how to add the chlorine. When do I add the Poly-quat (60% algaecide concentrate, I usually add 1/4 cup per week)? THANK YOU!

Last edited:
You have the right idea. Since you have a CYA of 50, we know your FC SLAM level should be "20" as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Your pH is already adjusted low, so now it's time to SLAM Process! Just follow all the details on that page and you'll do fine. Watch the filter pressure and test frequently in the early SLAM stages so you can maintain that FC of 20. Good luck!

Do I add the chlorine all at once?
You can. Once you've confimed everything in PoolMath, just pour slowly and take your time. I usually put my pump on high for good water movement. If you need to, you can sweep/brush the area briefly to help get the bleach dispersed in the water if you think it's needed.

Reactions: NCMimi
To clarify: you add enough chlorine to reach your SLAM level. Then you retest later and add enough to bring it back up to your SLAM level. It's all done in a controlled manner.

When do I add the Poly-quat (60% algaecide concentrate, I usually add 1/4 cup per week)?
I missed that in your first post. There should be no need to use Poly at this time. The SLAM (chlorine) will just tear it up and oxidize it. Once you pass all 3 SLAM criteria, your TFP-clear, properly sanitized & balanced water will not need the Poly. Just maintain the proper FC/CYA balance as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. If needed, owners will use Poly 60 at closing for winter. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Day 2 .. SLAM was a success! It took all day, but the FC number steadily went up and I passed the test, clear pool with losing 1 point overnight. Today’s numbers:

FC 21.2
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 85 (I said 85 because it turned red at 80, but REALLY red at 90)
CH 150 (I have a vinyl liner, so I don’t need to be concerned with this - right?)
CYA 50
Salt 1800

Do I just add the salt and wait for the FC level to drift down? Add CYA? Thank you for your help!

full

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.