Need help balancing water for daughter's birthday party in 2 days

Unfortunately, the permasalt system is over priced and causing more problems than helping. Once we get you through the weekend, I highly suggest you make some significant changes to your pool maintenance.

For more on CYA test, including some good pictures, and link to videos, see this thread
CYA testing - seems subjective

Remember that you will have limited reagent for this test, so make good use of it. You can double check your reading by pouring the mixture from the viewing tube back into the mixing bottle, and run the test again, with the SAME SAMPLE. You can do this three or four times if you want, or have another family member try it and get a second opinion.

@jhuehne,

Everyone here is giving you great advice. I would just like to say "hello!" :wave: and encourage you to follow the advice and techniques laid out here on TFP. Your pool will never be easier to maintain and you'll leave all of the expensive magic potions behind. Bleach, muriatic acid, baking soda and borax is all you'll ever need to keep you pool chemistry balanced and your water sparkling!

Welcome to TFP!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tried the walmart test kit.

Here is what I see:

CYA: test failed... my water never clouded at all. I was able to fill the entire tube to the top and still see the black dot clearly at the bottom. The top of the tube is 30 and its much lower than that if not 0.

PH: Color test reveals it at a 6.8 or slightly higher

Cl: Color test reveals this very low at .5 or less (water is still somewhat cloudy but not bad)

We did another test strip just to check and it looks about the same as my test earlier so it appears the aeration didn't change PH much if at all.

Are there other tests you want done with the test kit?

I have never put anything in for CYA as far as I know. I did purchase a bottle of SwimClear Deluxe Water Clarifier but they told me that should not be needed for my permasalt system. It doesn't list an ingredient on the bottle but I was told it was a conditioner or would help clear cloudy water.

Suggestions?

Your chlorine is non existent because it is all lost to the sun due to lack of CYA (stabilizer). Wal-Mart also sells this. I would add 30ppm of CYA in a sock and keep adding bleach.

Forget the clarifier.

Consider this pool was treated with a mineral system that relies heavily on Cu, I'd advise being careful with the chlorine. You could get scaling. You need chlorine to kill the algae but too much will oxidize the Cu and could cause metal scaling and green hair.

Do you know what your Cu level is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll point out that the Permasalt biweekly powder stuff does contain dichlor, so there is probably some CYA in there, even if it is low. So, maybe add somewhat less than 30 ppm stabilizer at this point, to avoid overshooting your goal.

And... Keep adding bleach (echo).

- - - Updated - - -

Can you provide a link? I can't seem to find it on their website.

Is this the same stuff:

Pool Water Conditioner Stabilizer by Swim Clear | Pool Supplies | Family Leisure

?

Will this raise my ph?
CYA aka cyanuric acid aka stabilizer can be found at places like Lowe's, Home Depot, WalMart, as well as at pool stores.

CYA, being an acid, will lower your pH.

I looked to see what I have on hand. This came with my pool but was for chlorine based systems not salt water:

Qty 4 - 1lbs bag swimway conditioner (active ingredient cyanuric acid)
Qty 1 - 1lbs bag swimway blast (active ingredient potassium peroxymonosulfate)
Qty 1 - 1lbs bag swimway ph plus (sodium carbonate 100%)

I also have this chlorine shock solution (4 gallons):

Online Pool Shock (liquid chlorinating chemical for swimming pool bacteria and algae control) (active ingredient: sodium hypochlorite 10%, intert ingredient 90%)

How much of what should I add? What does the bleach do for me?

thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good catch about the Dichlor. So I would add about 2 pounds of CYA and then test with a good test kit in a week.
That link is stabilizer. Just look for the ingredient to be nearly 100% cyanuric acid ... it will not lower the pH very much.

Do the TA test as well.

After starting the CYA dissolving in a sock, add a 121oz bottle of 8.25% bleach..

Ok so we have no or almost no CYA in the pool.

How many gallons is your pool?

You want to go to Wall Mart and buy some stabilizer (Cyanuric acid). Ad enough to get to get to 30 parts per million for your size pool.

Use pool math above to determine what you need in terms of chlorine.

Today I would triple those amounts and see if we can get the cloudiness to go away.

Hey you have some useful stuff!!!

That conditioner is stabilizer. So put 2 bags in a sock and put it in your skimmer.
And the liquid chlorine ("shock") is just stronger bleach. So add a bottle of that ... this is your supply of chlorine. This will raise your FC up to around 7.5ppm to help clear up the pool. This is still short of actually following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process which is what ideally you would want to do.

I looked to see what I have on hand. This came with my pool but was for chlorine based systems not salt water:

Qty 4 - 1lbs bag swimway conditioner (active ingredient cyanuric acid)
Qty 1 - 1lbs bag swimway blast (active ingredient potassium peroxymonosulfate)
Qty 1 - 1lbs bag swimway ph plus (sodium carbonate 100%)

I also have this chlorine shock solution (4 gallons):

Online Pool Shock (liquid chlorinating chemical for swimming pool bacteria and algae control) (active ingredient: sodium hypochlorite 10%, intert ingredient 90%)

How much of what should I add? What does the bleach do for me?

thanks!
OK, you have some stabilizer, so you can go ahead with that... Can't remember, did someone already go over putting it in a sock and hanging it near a return?

You also have bleach aka liquid "pool shock" which is simply stronger bleach. As long as those bottles haven't been out in a garden shed in full sun since April, they may still be usable, albeit weaker than when new. Plain bleach will put chlorine in the water - that serves to sanitize as well as to kill algae. You will definitely want the sanitize function if you're still planning on a pool party tomorrow.

Please be sure to add the liquid shock SLOWLY in front of a running water return. After you add it, if you have a wall brush, give the pool walls a good brushing to help mix in the chlorine. With such a low CYA level, the amount of active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) from the bleach will be quite high and since the specific gravity of the bleach liquid is higher than water, you do not want it to pool at the bottom of your liner. Just add it slowly in front of a return and give a good mix with the wall brush and you'll be fine. This goes for all liquid and solid chemicals - you add them slowly and help them mix in with a brush to avoid settling/pooling at the bottom.

Ok so we have no or almost no CYA in the pool.

How many gallons is your pool?

You want to go to Wall Mart and buy some stabilizer (Cyanuric acid). Ad enough to get to get to 30 parts per million for your size pool.

Use pool math above to determine what you need in terms of chlorine.

Today I would triple those amounts and see if we can get the cloudiness to go away.
I will respectfully disagree on the triple dose of chlorine - the OP was talking about having a party, including a bunch of little kids in the water tomorrow - running up chlorine, without FAS-DPD test to measure high levels, doesn't seem wise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.