need expert opinions

sicric

Jun 6, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm in Arizona, was wondering if it would help to run pump/filter 5AM-3PM. Currently, it runs 8PM-6AM (both schedules would be off peak as far as electric rates go). But was thinking because of the amount of INTENSE direct sunlight in summer, it would be easier to control chemicals (mainly free/total chlorine). I would revert back in fall/winter to old schedule. Am I crazy ?

Why so long? Do you get a lot of stuff blown in? Could you reduce the run time and increase the SWG percentage?

My pool gets two hours a day plus whatever extra when I;m vacuuming. Sometimes I mess with the chemicals then, too, so it has to run a little more for that. But even on a vacuum day, no more than three hours.

It really doesn't matter when you run, so long as you generate enough FC to stay above minimum and the water stays clear.

Why so long? Do you get a lot of stuff blown in? Could you reduce the run time and increase the SWG percentage?

My pool gets two hours a day plus whatever extra when I;m vacuuming. Sometimes I mess with the chemicals then, too, so it has to run a little more for that. But even on a vacuum day, no more than three hours.

It really doesn't matter when you run, so long as you generate enough FC to stay above minimum and the water stays clear.
actually the SWG only runs 6 of those 10 hours

It ends up being a personal choice really. As long as your FC stays above the minimum based on your FC/CYA ratio

I'll tell you my method, other members choose differently. I have 3 kids + their friends that swim in my pool and kids do things that kids do. Like track dirt, grass, odd stuffed animals (toys) and swim for hours without getting out. We have a no-P policy for the pool but you never know. I dose my chlorine bleach through a Stenner pump in the evening around 9pm. This is almost always after the last swim for the day and will be when the pool will be it's dirtiest. This allows the FC to work it's magic overnight (8+ hrs) without any loss to the sun to fight through any organics. In theory there should be zero loss overnight anyways so it's ready to start the day the same as I dosed it the night before.

My electric rates don't change based on time of day. I know I don't need to, but I typically run my pump on low speed 24/7 regardless. It makes my wife happy to know that the filter is cleaning all the time. For the extra $10 a month, it's worth it to her. But I could likely run the pump for 4 hours and get similar results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.