Need advice - Updated Test Results - Thanks!

Re: Pool installed 3 weeks ago - Updated Test Results - Advi

How does the water look? I agree what is the problem? Your FC level is fine. Also be aware that the Trichlor will continue to drive your pH down as long as you use it. You will likely have to compensate for this with the borax etc depending on test results.

Thanks guys! Just looking for some reassuring comments. Water looks great, I just don't want to screw things up.

The Tricholor goes into the MizerPacs which are inside the system. So it's hard to know how much is diluted until it goes empty. I haven't pulled it open and checked that since Thursday.
Once that is all gone, I'll start using bleach/chlorine. Once I'm on that route, I may add some stabilizer to bring the CYA up a little.

Thanks

Re: Pool installed 3 weeks ago - Updated Test Results - Advi

OK, ran another full test tonight.

FC- 8.5
CC- .5
pH- 7.2
TA- 90

CYA- 30

Chlorine still up there. Pucks are about halfway gone. Will be switching to bleach within the week.

Looks like the CYA is coming up, so I'm not going to be adding any stabilizer for now. Holding off on the Borax as well as the pH is holding too.

Your numbers look just fine. Your FC is a little high, but not a problem.

I think that maybe the 1.5 CC you posted the other day could have been a testing error. Any time you get CC greater than .5, I suggest you retest and confirm.

Can you post a pic for us?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone, hard to believe that this was a year ago. I've learned so much about how to control my pool since then and can proudly say I haven't been inside a pool store for over a year.
I'm slowly trying to convince 2 of my friends with pools to switch over to BBB, one just ordered the TF-100, so I think he's on his way.

My cover blew off during Hurricane Sandy, I was able to fish out some debris the next day and recover, but wasn't really sure what to expect when I opened 2 weeks ago. I read up again on what to do, ran a fresh set of tests, cleaned out all the leaf debris, vacuumed out the finer stuff, went through the shock process and within a 2 days the pool was sparkling and maintaining the proper levels. (And I did it all without having to post!!)

Anyway, my TA is a little high (130) and I've read on here this is usually the last thing you want to fix and the best process seems to be aeration.

Here's last nights test results:

FC- 3
CC- 0
pH- 7.5
TA- 130
CYA- 30

I'm leaving the CYA here for now as I have a couple of weeks this summer that I will be out of town and am going to use pucks in the Aqua Smarte for that, so that will raise my CYA some. I use liquid chlorine otherwise. Anyway, I turned the jet upward to get some aeration, the kids have only been in twice as the weather has been cold/rainy for the last week, my pH was a little low last week and I added Borax to bring it to 7.5, then I saw aeration will cause this to go up as well, maybe I should have waited to add the borax.

Should I bother trying to lower the TA or just wait and see if pool usage will bring it down?
My TA was 120 pretty much all summer, I see the recommended values are between 80-120. What level of TA starts to be a concern that I should address.

Thanks everyone on this forum for your contributions, I can't tell you how helpful reading other peoples problems posted on here are, the answers are always spot on and I find myself knowing the answer before scrolling down and seeing what someone posted.

Also ordered replacements for the R-0013, R-0870 and R-0871, the R-0013 was getting real low.

Love this place!

Should I bother trying to lower the TA or just wait and see if pool usage will bring it down?
Hi, Rick,

I think I would just leave. Many pools are happy with TA up there and yours will slowly work it's way down on it's own anywat.

Thank you for the very nice words about all the participant responders on the forum...they're a bunch of smart cookies, huh! :lol:

At what level should I start to look at reducing the TA?
Well, unless you are having to reduce pH very often to the point of being annoying, you don't have to do anything with the TA.

If it gets annoying, simply follow the article in Pool School for "How to Lower Total Alkalinity".

Also, since you plan to use pucks this summer, I think that is another reason to just leave it alone.

Butterfly said:
At what level should I start to look at reducing the TA?
Well, unless you are having to reduce pH very often to the point of being annoying, you don't have to do anything with the TA.

If it gets annoying, simply follow the article in Pool School for "How to Lower Total Alkalinity".

Also, since you plan to use pucks this summer, I think that is another reason to just leave it alone.

Awesome! Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.