Need Advice Quick Please

Cathysp

Jun 18, 2019
Kingsland Ga
My plan was to install a 24 round Intex with help, of course and neighbor removed the sod and more dirt than was needed only because his bucket on his large bobcat didn’t sit evenly. Not his fault and I appreciated his help. I decided I was not up for this challenge and found a local company that said they would install. Project manager came out and I told him some dirt would need to go back in the hole and he said they would bring in sand and take care of it. Everything would be fine. Well it’s not!!!

I’ll spare all the details because it would way too long. Bottom line is they have to replace my pool so my question is how do I fix the area before they bring the new pool?

Back part of pool sits just in front of our septic tank so the ground is higher. If possible, it seems since you aren’t supposed to backfill around an Intex pool, so I’ve read, the front need to have dirt added to be made level with the back? The entire pool is in a hole now.

1st pic is front of pool.
2nd and 3rd are from opposite sides on the back. You can tell by looking at equipment that it is a lot higher. What can I do to fix this so I can ensure it is installed correctly the next time?

Attachments

• ED60857F-4001-4A9D-8002-2DDD1599BADE.jpeg
    ED60857F-4001-4A9D-8002-2DDD1599BADE.jpeg
    549.6 KB · Views: 47
  • FF5EB80F-708D-410C-8A11-D011E2E94192.jpeg
    FF5EB80F-708D-410C-8A11-D011E2E94192.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 13A744C1-987C-488B-BE8B-CC3F91250701.jpeg
    13A744C1-987C-488B-BE8B-CC3F91250701.jpeg
    569 KB · Views: 45
Cathy, maybe another member will have a thogh, but I'm not seeing a great solution on this one. We know that trying to add soil and tamp it down never seems to meet the challenge of supporting the weight of a pool. In your case, you have ground that appears to be quite saturated. I suspect that even if someone dumped a few yards of dirt on that area and preseed it down with a Bobcat, it would just be a muddy mess and not stable. I'm guessing you have no other location options huh?

This is pretty much the highest area on the property. The only other area would be under an Oak tree and Pecan tree and that would be a whole other issue. This was from a heavy rain yesterday and it will dry up pretty quickly. I am not going to let them install the new pool until we have some dryer weather and I can get some heavy equipment in here because you are correct in that bringing dirt and something in here to pack it at this time would be a waste of time and money.

I should be able to trust the project manager to know how to resolve this but given the fact he didn’t care to do it right the first time, I don’t.

I’ve seen pictures on here of people burying Intex pools and putting up retaining walls to keep the dirt off the side of the pool. What I can’t wrap my head around is the wall has to be built outside the legs so how do they keep water from filling the gap between the pool and retaining wall? I don’t want to bury it but if there is a way to build a retaining wall to the height I need it as it sits and then fill the hole with dirt I’m game. The pool itself is level and full of water. The installers ripped it where the top rails slide through which is why they are replacing. Now I just need to know what to do to fix it before I let them put the new pool up.

You could dig a shallow trench on the downhill side of the pool, leading away from the pool and fill it with gravel (aka french drain). That would allow the water someplace else to go instead of pooling up on the exterior of the pool.

While it's not normally recommended you can fill the area and have it be stable.
There are a few things you need to make sure of.
1) That the fill is compactable fill. If you have dirt from the original removal it may work. Sand will not work. Most dirt yards know what compactable fill is and they will be glad to deliver you some.
2) Then use a compactor and raise it in 2" to 4" lifts until you get it just above grade level.

I'd suggest renting a vibrating plate or a 'Wacker Packer' compactor from a local home improvement store.
2" to 4" lifts means to fill the area about 2" to 4" deep with the new dirt and run the compactor over it until it doesn't compress any more, then run it another round. Then add another 2' to 4" to it and repeat the process.

Thank you for the suggestions. The project manager is supposed to be back out tomorrow or Tuesday of next week. I guess I will see what he has to say, although I’m going to be skeptical of his recommendations most likely. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.