Wi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
We are converting to SWG. We have a 40000 gallon vinyl lined pond. Been using a chlorine inline tab flow jug, sorry not sure correct name, but purchased a RJ 45 SWG installing soon. Need advice on pump. We have a single speed Waterway 1.65 HP but it will not self prime and is a pain to keep running. It will loose pressure and have to keep water trickling in pump from hose to keep it from running dry.
Our sand filter is 1.5 inch intake
We have 2 skimmers with 1.5 hose runs 8 feet long about 5 feet or less rise to water from pump
Have two skimmers run two one hose with check valve inline to attempt to hold prime.
Would like to keep under 600.00 for pump.
Also old pump has 2 inch inlet/outlet then reduced to 1 1\2.
Thanks

I'm very happy with my intelliflo vsf; more than your budget and impossible to find right now. You'll be fairly limited due to supply issues, but consider a VS pump to run the SWCG without burning tons of electricity. I maintain plenty of flow at just 1200 rpm running 200 watts on my variable speed pump.

I'm very happy with my intelliflo vsf; more than your budget and impossible to find right now. You'll be fairly limited due to supply issues, but consider a VS pump to run the SWCG without burning tons of electricity. I maintain plenty of flow at just 1200 rpm running 200 watts on my variable speed pump.
Thanks for input I only have 115 v at ppond do they have such a thing as VS at that voltage?

With a 40,000 gallon, the RJ-45 will need to run nearly 20 hours to make up for estimated FC loss at the peak of the swim season. You really should consider exchanging the unit for the RJ-60. TFP recommends a SWG rated at double the pool volume.

I know the cost of a VS pump is hard to swallow, but it really is the best way to go. You can run your pump at reduced speed while generating chlorine at a fraction of the cost of a single-speed pump. As pump speed increases, energy use increases exponentially. As an example, doubling the speed of a pump requires 7 to 8 times more energy.

The Pentair SuperFlo VS pump runs off 115V or 230V (about $1,000). You'll be hard-pressed to find any VS pump within your budget.

That aside, the problem you're describing with your pump points to a suction-side air leak. Changing the pump might not solve the problem. It would be best to track down the leak. Start with some of the most obvious causes. Check for obstructions at the pump impeller, make sure there are no cracks on the pump or pump lid. Check the drain plugs for leaks. Clean and lube the pump lid o-ring. Make sure water level is high enough and that the weir door is stuck in the closed position. Let us know how things go.

Be sure to invest in a TFP recommended test kit. The TF-100 line is the best value (link in my sig). The Taylor k-2006C is a good choice, but more costly. Make sure you include the Taylor k-1766 salt test kit as well.

Best of luck!

With a 40,000 gallon, the RJ-45 will need to run nearly 20 hours to make up for estimated FC loss at the peak of the swim season. You really should consider exchanging the unit for the RJ-60. TFP recommends a SWG rated at double the pool volume.

I know the cost of a VS pump is hard to swallow, but it really is the best way to go. You can run your pump at reduced speed while generating chlorine at a fraction of the cost of a single-speed pump. As pump speed increases, energy use increases exponentially. As an example, doubling the speed of a pump requires 7 to 8 times more energy.

The Pentair SuperFlo VS pump runs off 115V or 230V (about $1,000). You'll be hard-pressed to find any VS pump within your budget.

That aside, the problem you're describing with your pump points to a suction-side air leak. Changing the pump might not solve the problem. It would be best to track down the leak. Start with some of the most obvious causes. Check for obstructions at the pump impeller, make sure there are no cracks on the pump or pump lid. Check the drain plugs for leaks. Clean and lube the pump lid o-ring. Make sure water level is high enough and that the weir door is stuck in the closed position. Let us know how things go.

Be sure to invest in a TFP recommended test kit. The TF-100 line is the best value (link in my sig). The Taylor k-2006C is a good choice, but more costly. Make sure you include the Taylor k-1766 salt test kit as well.

Best of luck!
The pump we have is not self priming. Could the check valve intalled before the pump intake cause these issues of loosing prime while running? I was nor convince it should have a check valve installed on suction side

The pump we have is not self priming. Could the check valve intalled before the pump intake cause these issues of loosing prime while running? I was nor convince it should have a check valve installed on suction side
When pump is running, do you see air in action, in the pump pot? If so - chase the suction side air leak using the below method which worked really well for me.

Ok so chatted with guy at Inyo pools online he said have to upgrade to 220 v for this size pool and recommends 2.7 HP waterway vs pump. He said equal to Pentair. He said 1.5 HP not enough power. Thoughts?

Ok so chatted with guy at Inyo pools online he said have to upgrade to 220 v for this size pool and recommends 2.7 HP waterway vs pump. He said equal to Pentair. He said 1.5 HP not enough power. Thoughts?
@mas985 may be able to help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The primary difference between a large VS pump vs a smaller VS pump is the maximum flow rate. As long as you don't have a high flow rate application, then any pump will do. Most of the time, you will be running on low speed anyway so the argument of not being large enough is total nonsense. I ran a 20k pool with a 1/2 HP pump ON LOW SPEED for many years before I got my VS pump which is a 1.65 THP VS pump and run on lower speeds nearly all the time. The only downside to a smaller VS pump is not only the lower max flow rate but also the higher RPM required for a given flow rate which results is slightly more noise from the pump than you would get from a larger VS pump. If you had 220v available, I might steer you toward the larger pump but if you don't want to upgrade electrical, which I completely understand, then the lower THP VS pump is an appropriate choice.

My 5 year old superflo VS is still whisper quiet at any RPM below 2500. Above 2500 you could easily have a quiet conversation standing right next to the pump but you will hear it. More often than not I have to check the pressure gauge to make sure the pump is still running it's that quiet

Mas as always is spot on in saying there is no reason you have presented that would make the superflo not work for your pool.

So you guys are suggesting the Pantair VS superflow. 1.5 hp 115 volt?

Is there one particular place you might tecommend to purchase from as we have no pool stores in our area will need to buy online.

Will this be a DIY install? If so, know that Pentair only provides a 60-day warranty for DIY installs with certain exceptions. One exception is if the item is purchased from an authorized online E-Commerce dealer. E-Commerce model numbers will begin with "EC". According to the linked warranty page, the SuperFlo VS warranty would be extended to a one-year parts warranty.

I can't find the SuperFlo 342002 pump with an EC number. The SuperFlo EC-342001 is available as an E-Commerce model. The difference is that the newest model supports "RS-485 connectivity for improved interface with automation systems and IoT devices to allow more flexibility." If automation is not in your future, the 342001 is a good choice.

I have dealt with Pool Supply Unlimited on several occasions. Because availability of pool parts have been limited, I would try to speak with a live person to check stock before moving forward.

Please don't feel pressured into buying something you don't feel is right for you. Do your own research. If it was my pool and cost was not an issue, I would upgrade my electrical and go with the Pentair IntelliFlo VS.

Best of luck!

There is no particular vendor I can recommend for the pump. I searched around and bought it from the place that gave me the best price.

The warranty issue wasn't there when I bought my pump.

If you were going to upgrade the electrical to 220v I would absolutely say to go with an intelliflo pump as it will be the most efficient option. If you are set on sticking with 110v then it's hard to go wrong with a superflo VS pump. .

Has anyone have or used a circupool pump they have a 3 HP vs pump same brand as they rj45 chlorinator with 3yr warranty

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.