Need a little help with stains and pH.

Jun 16, 2013
Hartland, MI
I've done great at keeping my pool balanced up until last year I kind of gave up on it. When I closed the pool last year I rushed it and I opened it to a swamp. Got the water clear, but I have what I believe to be algae stains along the edges and my pH is out of control. I haven't tested this year but my TA is usually really high.

So my questions. What is the best way to lower TA and clean stains that don't scrub away with a brush? Went to the pool store and he recommended using granular shock and sprinkle on the stain, let it sit for a minute then scrub. He also mentioned mixing a gallon of water with a half gallon of acid and pouring it in opposite sides of the pool away from the filter. Letting it sit for a while then run the filter. Does that sound right? I have the TF test kit and generally know what I'm doing, just looking for the simplest solution so I don't get frustrated and drive my truck through the pool. TIA.

I have high TA as well. I've been following the instructions in pool school. I've gone from 210 to 190 in the last month but I am just letting pH rise on it's own.

As for the stains you should be able to brush away algae if it's dead. Have you tried passing an over night chlorine test?

Since you have well water it could be metal stains. Try a vitamin C tablet on the stain and see if that helps.

Acid column myth

Granular shock on your vinyl liner will probably leave you with white splotches.

If they're organic stains, a few weeks with bleach in the water will lift them. If they're metals, ask yourself how they got there -- miracle systems, copper algaecide? No point trying to clean 'em if they'll just come back. Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.