Need a little advice

Linen,

Maybe you can answer this question: I think I put laterals in my sand filter (Tagelus 50D) backwards! Each lateral has one side that is solid plastic the other side is a "screen" that allows water to flow through but not sand. When I put the laterals back in I installed them with the screen side facing up, and I've heard since that the screen should be pointing down. Does this make a big difference in performance?

Thanks!

Hello All,

I was hoping to close this thread, but after two weeks of the clearest water I have ever had my pool is green again :-(

It happened the same as before I rebuilt the filter: The first day I noticed yellow/green on the edges between walls/floor and shallow/deep ends and corners. The Polaris sucked it up and the water turned dull & cloudy, and the next day I have a green pool!

Here are my current levels:

FC 3
CC 0
CYA 30
PH 7.6
TA 80
CH 60

I have never let the FC go below the mimimums. I am at a loss here :?:

Can somebody tell me, is this filter too small for the size pool I have? Could this be mustard algae? Please help!!!

Attachments

• IMG-20120621-00333.jpg
    IMG-20120621-00333.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 52
Linen,

I brought it back up to shock level last night and again this morning... I'll see how it looks when I get home, but I really believe that I have some kind of algae on steroids or mustard algae that goes away when I shock the pool but returns when FC levels come back down to normal levels. I will probably do the mustard shock... I am nervous about the underwater light fixture: Does that whole fixture come out of the wall so you can clean behind it?

No, I'm doing the OCLT tonight, but I've never not passed after I shocked and the water clears... then everything is great for 3-4 days at normal FC levels before the algae comes back!

Do you think I should go right to the mustard shock or clean out the light niche first?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I pulled the light out of its niche and cleaned it really well over the weekend... there was definitely algae in there! Going to proceed with the Mustard shock tomorrow...

Took the pool to mustard shock level on Wednesday and held it for 24 hours. FC level is coming back down now and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the "stubborn" algae has been eradicated and my pool with stay clear with the BBB method from now on :) Thanks for all the help...

Algae is still coming back after a few days once pool returns to normal FC :-( I have completely cleaned the filter, behind the light niche, and performed the mustard shock. I am wondering if maybe my pool needs a higher FC level than is recommended, has anyone seen that before? Where the recommended FC level is 5 but the pool actually needs 6 or 7? Or maybe I am reading my CYA level wrong? When you do the CYA test should the black dot at the bottom of the tube be completely invisible before you take the reading?

It sounds like yellow/mustard algae where it's yellow color against a blue vinyl background has it look green. The fact that it seems dust-like and that you found it behind the light niche are clues. It also tends to be near the walls since there is usually less sun there than in the middle of the pool (not sure why it wasn't mostly on the shady side of the pool -- could be how the sun goes over the pool).

Though you could maintain a higher FC level that is 15% of the CYA level, that can become impractical (and expensive). It's usually best to completely get rid of the algae entirely, but requires extended shocking and cleaning all equipment (poles, nets, etc.) that contact the pool as well as the light niches you did and any removable ladders you may have. I'd hold the yellow/mustard algae shock level for more than one day to be safe. You could also pour some of the bleach into the skimmer to help blast the sand filter with higher levels of chlorine in case there's algae lurking in there.

If this keeps coming back, then there are last resort measures involving algaecides or phosphate removers, but those will entail ongoing costs as well for maintenance and each method has its own side effects (the main reasons we avoid them at first). Since your algae seems to come back fairly quickly, I'm guessing that the algae nutrient level (phosphates and nitrates) in your pool is very high. What is a bit strange is that it doesn't seem to be consuming very much chlorine overnight after it has bloomed.

As for the CYA test, see this link for how it should look. Hold the tube in front of you with your back to the sun so that your body shades the tube and you are looking down into it.

Update: I have been at normal FC levels now for almost a week and water is crystal clear, about as clear as I have ever seen it! No sign of algae, even though I expect to come home any day and see it, this is the longest i have gone after shocking before it comes back....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.