Mysterious staining on quartz finish

dgoloughlin

Oct 24, 2020
Sydney Australia
Hi there,

I'd like some advice on some staining that's occurred recently on an established quartz finished pool.

It seems to have been triggered by the addition of pool salt but I can't really say for sure as you can't see the stains in full sunlight and I didn't see the staining straight away.

When I saw the stains properly for the first time I assumed it was because of iron and I treated the pool with ascorbic acid followed by a phosphonic acid based sequestrant. I've had success with this in the past but this time it did nothing.

I then did a spot test using dry acid and this worked but since the quartz surface is textured the result is quite blotchy.

Here are my vital stats, I'm reasonably careful with water chemistry but chlorine levels and PH are often on the high side while alkalinity is on the low side.

Salt: 3800
FC: 7
TC: 8
PH: 7.4
Alkalinity: 40
Calcium: 175

I've also attached some photos (apologies for the shadows) and as you can see the finish looks dirty and blotchy.

Many thanks,
David

IMG_20220508_082541469_small.jpgIMG_20220508_082529595_small.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.