my water is blue and almost completely clear but algae is stuck to sides

thebosman

Gold Supporter
Apr 8, 2019
Louisiana
I have brushed the walls and bottom, vacuumed several times, removed my steps from inside the pool as there is some algae in crevices. Going to pressure wash them before re-installing.
But today I had to use a small nylon brush to get that algae off and it is taking forever. Not sure if this is the only way to really clean my walls but just brushing from the top down definitely is not removing it.
I had to get in the pool and scrub.

@cowboycasey - Thanks but the "algae" is stuck to sides under the water. I have to really scrub to get it off.

@Katodude - Thank you also, I understand what you are saying. I am not sure this stuff is really algae. Not sure if it is dead but stuck to sides..... It is not just this layer of green, it is black spots, a little slimy, and stuck like a bad booger.

That is algae and you will have to continue to SLAM until it is dead and no where to be found... Scrub a dub.. you can still use that sprayer and hit the black spots to kill them faster... :)

(y)It is not just this layer of green, it is black spots, a little slimy, and stuck like a bad booger.
Textbook biofilm. Algae grows a protective layer to shield it from its environment, in this case, highly uninhabitable treated water. Brushing is nearly as important in the SLAM process as everything else. You can clean the water but if any algae remains stuck to the pool, or in the light, on the walls, etc...... you’ll be back at square 1 before long.

Depending on how well it’s rooted and the surface type, it can be very stubborn to remove. Each time you remove the biofilm, another top layer dies. Lather, rinse, repeat. :)

It sure will, it is a pressure sprayer and it will work down to 8/10 feet with no issue... :) I know because I used one...

Reactions: kimkats
Now you got it. The key to a SLAM is actually REALLY finishing it. The few times I have had to SLAM even after I am finished I keep treating it as a SLAM for a couple more days, just to be sure. I want that algae dead, really dead, dead and buried, dead and gone, dead, dead, dead!!!!

Then keep your FC on the high side you wont have this problem again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now you got it. The key to a SLAM is actually REALLY finishing it. The few times I have had to SLAM even after I am finished I keep treating it as a SLAM for a couple more days, just to be sure. I want that algae dead, really dead, dead and buried, dead and gone, dead, dead, dead!!

+10000000000000000000000000000000

9D4E8B56-85B3-4C25-B596-8205BA77003B.gif

Do not confuse SLAM with a one and done addition of chlorine. You have to get your chlorine up to SLAM level and keep it there until everything is dead. That means you test and add chlorine 3+ times a day for several days straight.

I would get your FC up to SLAM level, keep brushing, and keep maintaining the FC until you pass the 3 criteria to stop the SLAM.

Been slamming since July 14. Still adding 1.5 - 2 gallons of chlorine daily. Checking water in morning and evening. Brushing walls and bottom, vacuuming, backwashing. Still see some sediment when brushing. When testing chlorine, after adding drops to get pink water clear, if left there for a while, test water starts to turn pink again. Is all of this normal?

Seems pretty normal to me. The sediment is likely algae still being killed and settling to the bottom. Sometimes we see people with hidden algae that they have to find (ladders and behind lights are popular hiding spots).

For your question on the test water turning pink again, that is also normal. Once you have finished the FC and CC test, you are done even if it turns pink again after a few minutes.

SLAMS can take several days or weeks depending on how bad the algae was. How does your water look?

I have to leave town for the upcoming week. My FC level still drops to 5 or so from morning to evening. I have someone that will add chlorine for me but is not able to come here twice daily, test water, etc. What amount of chlorine do I tell them to add daily? I hate to lose any progress we may have made with this current SLAM

Will the person helping you going to test the water?

If viable get the water to SLAM level before leaving and ask the person helping you to replenish the chlorine loss. Bring up to SLAM level should give enough room to avoid issues in case the person helping you can show up every day.

It is safe to swim at or below SLAM level, so If anyone is going to use your pool while you are out that won’t be an issue either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.