My pool looks like a swamp! New owner, 1st time opening, Help!

I stopped by the pool store, picked up a new gauge and 4 Gals. of 12.5% chlorine. He said the stuff from Rural King at 10% is no good, probably more like 5-6%. I guess we'll see.

The stuff from RK is great. It works out as 11% when I've tested it.

You can get 12.5% for a reasonable price at Menard's when they have it on BOGO, but that is usually pre-Memorial Day. I have a bunch in my basement I got when they had the sale. When it's not on sale it is overpriced by a long shot. Stick with the RK stuff. Nothing else is close to the same deal, even when it is $7.99.

I stopped by the pool store, picked up a new gauge and 4 Gals. of 12.5% chlorine. He said the stuff from Rural King at 10% is no good, probably more like 5-6%. I guess we'll see.

Unless the price of the pool store chlorine is as good as the stuff from RK, I wouldn't trust that statement too much. My local pool store said the same thing about the 12.5% liquid shock from Ollie's and I've gone through 14 gallons of the stuff and it definitely did the job and kept the FC right where PoolMath said it should be. To my knowledge, what's written on the container is what is supposed to be in it per FTC regulation. The pool store chlorine would have to be $2.18/gal to be the same deal as the RK chlorine. You're going to need GALLONS of chlorine to get this done, so you want to be looking for the best price per oz of chlorine you can get.

You're taking all the right steps, keep it up and you'll win this one!

Yup.

Go ahead and add it.

BTW, the High CC level might mean you have ammonia in your pool (it can be converted from CYA)
You may need more chlorine than we originally thought as will consume your chlorine very fast.

Add and let's test in an hour and see what we have. You are running your pump during all this correct?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it looks like for your FC/CC test you are using a 25ml sample. I'd go with 10ml and each drop will be .5, this will save you a lot of reagent and is plenty accurate.
Yes running pump the entire time, and scooping... getting alot of algae floating... I can't scoop it out, just goes right through the net.

I was using 25ml. sample... I'll go with 10ml. Thanks for the tip.

Some updated pics from yesterday to today...

- - - Updated - - -

I used the pool store chlorine at 12.5% this round.. I'm going to use it all up then go back with the RK, much better deal money wise.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!

going to test right now, will post results in a few

Nothing to say other than it looks like you got this, keep at it. Can't wait to see this one get clear.
Thanks! Should I be checking PH periodically or anything else or just focus on FC? Also, the algae that's floating around, is that from getting broken down by the chlorine? And will the chlorine eventually "eat" it up? I can't skim it with the leaf rake, just goes right through the net. Not getting much stuff off the bottom either now.

One last thing, my pressure on the filter is running 14-15, and even after a few hours, it's not going up. Is that normal? I know as it it filters and gets dirty the pressure builds. I've backwashed a few times just to be safe.

No don't check PH during the SLAM. You are doing great so far!

- - - Updated - - -

Don't backwash until your psi goes up or you have low flow coming from the ruturn jet.

Exactly.

Don't backwash just for the sake of it, your filter will actually work better with some debris. once the pressure increases 20% over normal pressure, you can backwash.

pH test is unreliable when FC > 10 so only test FC/CC until you are clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You saying I should add more chlorine? Make my target shock number higher?

Shock for you is 16 correct? So at 13.2 you needed to add some. You want to keep it at 16 as much as possible. What I am saying is that it wouldn't hurt to set the target to 18 and add the chlorine so it stays at or above 16 for a longer period.
18 is not very much more above 16 and will not hurt anything in your pool. Once the levels are holding better, I would go back to 16 for shock.

Hope that helps.

(If I am wrong, someone correct me please. I don't want to give out bad info, but this is what I do when SLAMming)

I have a question.... Since my CYA was 0, and I added enough to supposedly bring it to 40, and then using 16 as my shock level, how do we know if my CYA level is actually 40 since I can't test for a week? What if it's not that high?

Just trying to understand, want to be doing it all correct and adding correct amounts to get to the ultimate goal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.