Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2015
Fort Mill, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, I've been battling cloudy water for the past couple of weeks after opening the pool. I have it reasonably good right now, but I've sort of started obsessing over it. The difficulty with cloudiness is objectively measuring it each day. Here's my system. It requires the water is at least clear enough that you are willing to get in. o_O

1) Wait for a sunny day
2) Pick out a bright underwater feature on a wall like a light or skimmer or stairs.
3) Measure the farthest distance away you can see the feature at all with goggles.

I'm at 23 feet right now (but was only half that last week). So, things are moving in the right direction. After that distance it is a blue haze. If you can get to the farthest point away, you win!

Very Clever!

You might even get some melamine (R-0013 - CYA reagent) and become the world's largest CYA test :laughblue::laughblue:

Well, that was just silly! Sorry. Your idea is very "clear" to me and makes perfect sense.

Want the really really easy way ? Turn on the pool light at night. The less it looks like a car driving in the nighttime fog, the better. As it gets mostly clear, the light will shine a beam directly out from it. As it clears even further, the beam gets shorter until there is no beam.
Screenshot_20220601-171648_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220601-171707_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220601-171728_Gallery.jpg

I picked up another 3 feet today. We'll see if I can make it to the furthest wall by the weekend, I'm almost there.

I do a qualitative test via night light as well and it's looking pretty good. I'm just fine tuning at this point, the debacle that was this year's opening has concluded.

Reactions: Newdude
OK so I'm all the way back to the far wall today! Mission complete.

Moving forward, this gives me a quick test to do every week to ensure I'm not losing ground for some reason.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.