My Pool Closing - Would Like Some Feedback

mtheaded

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 10, 2007
Lovettsville, VA
I’ve been opening and closing my own pool for about 12 years (since I became a Trouble Free Pool member) and have never had any real issues except when I left water in a line and cracked a valve last year (in my notes section below). I want to share my method and would be interested in seeing if anyone has any suggestions for improvement or sees any obvious mistakes I am making. I know, I know…maybe I shouldn’t have waited 12 years to post this! :D I am always nervous each year at closing time, especially about blowing out the lines properly and getting an air seal.

MY POOL CLOSING PROCEDURE

Two to three days before closing

1. Run pool cleaner a final time and test/adjust all chemical balances (if necessary)
2. Remove timer and let pool pump run 24-7 until closing
3. Shock pool

Day of closing

1. Pour 1 quart of Polyquat in pool and let circulate for one hour
2. Shut off pool pump for final time for the season
3. Drain water below skimmers
4. With all lines open, connect air compressor to pump strainer basket and start to blow out lines. I start by sealing the first to bubble and follow all skimmers and return lines until air is blowing out the main drain.
5. Let main drain blow for at least 30 seconds, then close skimmer valves and main drain valve and turn off and disconnect air compressor. At this point I am done with lines and the pool itself.
6. Remove all drain plugs and seals from pump strainer basket and store in dry pump strainer basket for winter
7. Disassemble and thoroughly clean DE filter system. Reassemble and store filter baffles indoors for winter after soaking in TSP solution overnight and drying.
8. Cover pool pump for winter (I do not remove pool pump and store indoors.)

Some notes:

1. I don’t use a winter cover. I have no children so it’s not a safety issue and we have mild enough days throughout the winter so I can skim leaves and debris and keep pool fairly clean.
2. I use screw-in plugs instead of gizmos in the skimmers. I also place a gallon plastic jug that is filled with about 4 inches of sand in each skimmer openings for freeze expansion.
3. My pool pump and filter sit below the water line for my pool (the ground slopes down from the pool to the pump area).
4. After blowing out lines I used to remove plugs from intakes and add pool antifreeze, but this breaks the seal from the blowing lines process, so I don’t do that anymore. Last year, after doing this, water ran back to my skimmer cutoff valves (remember, they are below pool water line) and froze and cracked one.

Couple Questions:

1. Does it matter what position I set my multiport valve to? I usually leave it in the open position since lines are dry and filter is empty at this point. I’m just curious if there is a recommended position for this or if it even matters.
2. When blowing out the lines, I’ve never been comfortable that I am shutting things off in the proper order to maintain the air seal. Anybody see anything wrong with how am I am doing this is step 5 of closing day?
3. Any other suggestions/feedback?

Thank you!

4. After blowing out lines I used to remove plugs from intakes and add pool antifreeze, but this breaks the seal from the blowing lines process, so I don’t do that anymore. Last year, after doing this, water ran back to my skimmer cutoff valves (remember, they are below pool water line) and froze and cracked one.

Can you go into a little more detail on this one? If your skimmers have shut off valves at the pad, then after you remove the water, and install the plug/Gizzmo, there should be no water left. But before you install the plug, pour antifreeze in the lines.

1. Does it matter what position I set my multiport valve to? I usually leave it in the open position since lines are dry and filter is empty at this point. I’m just curious if there is a recommended position for this or if it even matters.

By open, do you mean filter? You should place between 2 settings.

2. When blowing out the lines, I’ve never been comfortable that I am shutting things off in the proper order to maintain the air seal. Anybody see anything wrong with how am I am doing this is step 5 of closing day?

The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool

Please read my post. You do not need to maintain an air seal (air lock) in the skimmers and returns of the swimming pool. The skimmers, if water is lowered below them should literally have no free standing water left in the lines. Plug them up and water can not come back to the line. The returns in the pool are plugged by using air to remove water one at a time. By the time you are done with the last one, the pool blower should be shut off. I isolate the suction side when clearing out the return side. The main drain requires an air lock after the water is pushed below the frost line with the pool blower.

Thanks for the reply Catanzaro! The link to your excellent post just reinforced what I already (thought) knew.

As I said, I've been closing my pool for 12 years but only had an issue with the valve cracking over the winter this last year. In all theory that should not have been able to happen as there should not have been any water left in that line. It was a brand new valve that I had replaced in the spring so I'm wondering if it was installed incorrectly or over-tightened or something during installation and worked fine for the season and the flaw simply got exposed over the winter months. Might be reaching there a bit, but I see no reason it should have been cracked when I went to open in the spring, but it was.

I do drain below the skimmers and find the closing fairly easy using that method.

Thanks for the valve setting advice. Still not really sure what the point of it is since the system is no longer sealed there after closing. Not sure what half open/half closed versus open or closed makes any difference. I was just curious about it.

....Thanks for the valve setting advice. Still not really sure what the point of it is since the system is no longer sealed there after closing. Not sure what half open/half closed versus open or closed makes any difference. I was just curious about it.

having the valve between two positions ensures that the top is open to allow water to drain out of the sand. newer mpv have a winter setting that is really just between two other settings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.