My pool and deck project

May 6, 2011
Rose Hill, KS
Been busy working on my 18 x 33 ABG set in the ground about 24". A buddy of mine has graciously helped with the dirt work and drilling the post holes. Couldn't do this project without friends! The main part of the deck is 28 x 20 with a 10 x 22 portion running down the side of the pool. Thought I bite off more than I could chew as I've never built a deck before - but with help of friends it has been doable.

The deck sits about 30" from the ground near the edge of the pool. I'm using 6x6 rough cedar for the posts with 4x4 supporting posts under the deck. The railing will be a rough cedar with smooth cedar on the top rail with black balusters.

The pool cover is doing its job, maybe too much - last night it was 94 degrees!

Hope to get more work done this evening, working in 100 degree weather is no fun!

Attachments

• IMG_0270a.jpg
    IMG_0270a.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 2,013
  • IMG_0321a.jpg
    IMG_0321a.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 2,013
On the nights it hasn't rained, I've been working hard until roughly 11 pm (thankfully no close by neighbors!). Anyway, been swamped so haven't had time to post any updates. The decking is taking a while as I'm routing each board putting a nice 1/2" round edge to all edges. Also fitting the boards around all the posts. Here are a few pics of the progress.

Attachments

• IMG_0331a.jpg
    IMG_0331a.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 1,746
  • IMG_0330a.jpg
    IMG_0330a.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,746
  • IMG_0337a.jpg
    IMG_0337a.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 1,746
Wow.. that deck will be huge when it's done. Lots of room for seating and entertaining!

The routing of the edge looks like a nice touch. We used pressure treated boards and the sides were already a bit rounded.

Staining does take awhile.. I still have a bit to do on our railing and fencing that we completed last year :oops: Seems the weather is too nice and we are in the pool, or it's raining & I can't do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last night got as far as I could go without some assistance from someone setting a post. I wasn't sure how to end the deck on the side nearest the pump and have decided to extend it to fill in that open area you see at the edge of the pool near the pump.

Got the post hole dug last night and will set the post tonight, then get it framed in and decked.

Attachments

• IMG_0347a.jpg
    IMG_0347a.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 1,617
Only worked for a bit last night and didn't get a lot accomplished because of time required to fit a board around the two end caps at the edge of the pool where the deck meets the pool. I got the board shown in the below pic successfully fitted which was quite a chore. Down at the far end it had to be fit around a post, then it had to be narrowed a little at the end of the pool and then the relief cuts made. Got it done on my first try which actually surprised me.

This is my first experience building a deck so I'm getting a new appreciation for what all goes into a custom fit deck.

Attachments

• IMG_0350a.jpg
    IMG_0350a.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,565
Great job of fitting the board around the end caps. I have the same type of pool with the same caps and my deck is fitted around the caps and pool as well. I ran into a bit of a problem when I had to replace the caps due to sun damage. It was necessary to remove the boards and since there was a raised deck built over the decking next to the pool I had to actually cut the boards and replace them. It made the task harder than would have been necessary if the prior owner had planned on the eventuality of replacing the caps. Lesson learned - when I build my next deck around the pool make plans for how I am going to remove the caps should it be necessary.

Got out Saturday morning and took on the very stressful task of cutting the posts down to the proper height. Using a skill saw free hand with the saw in my left hand for most of the cuts had me so nervous that I was going to screw up a cut and then I don't know what I would have done, but roughly three to four hours later I had all 15 posts cut down. Next need to put an accent V cut 5" down from the top. My friend who helped lay out the deck showed that option to my wife and she really liked it. Gonna be a lot more stress as I cut these accents and hopefully don't let the saw get away from me and screw up a post . . . or me!

Here are a couple pics showing Saturday's progress.

Attachments

• IMG_0356a.jpg
    IMG_0356a.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 1,476
  • IMG_0357a.jpg
    IMG_0357a.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 1,476

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.