My new automation system.

I am trying to the follow the MEGA-BAS and MEGA-IND reference. I see the 8 or 16 relay option on the Sequent Site. Is this what you are referring too. In addition, I now see a Three 40A/240V RELAYS RS485 Daisy-chainable HAT for Raspberry Pi. Would it be valuable to invest in this hat for the high voltage switching of the VSP Pump, Booster, etc? Avoiding the separate relays in @cmc0619 build?

I'm with @Katodude. The high voltage hat seems like a cool idea but I just can't quite get there. My biggest concern is once you wire this thing up you really want something that grabs those conducter wires and doesn't let go. That, for me, is a real industrial relay spec'd for torquing down the wires, etc. I love the Sequent Boards but, as far as I know, they just haven't gone through that same level of testing and certification. I also like having that physical separation of my high voltage and low voltage wiring. One tickles, one kills (potentially) and it's nice to have the wires going to separate places.

Reactions: Katodude
I am the ring-leader behind the Sequent Microsystems cards.
Mixing high voltage with low level signals is indeed a bad idea. At least some physical separation is needed. Here comes the RS485 port.
The 3-RELAYS card will start shipping next month. It can switch 40A and 240V. The high voltage area is outside the Raspberry Pi and separated by a mechanical cutout,
but a better setup is to use a BAS card on the Pi and put the 3-RELAYS elsewhere on a DIN-Rail. The 3-RELAYS comes with DIN-RAIL clips.

I will try to start a separate thread trying to come up with the specs for the ideal pool controller.

@cmc0619 Cliff I also live in NJ and have a similar setup with an intelliflo, intellichlor and raypack heater, which I am hoping to be able to remote control.

I am computer handicapped :) but looking to copy what you have done.
Do you have any detailed intructions that can be followed? Also what cables did you use to connec the raypak heater and the intelliflo pump?

Hello fellow Jersey-ite! Well for the computer handicapped, I wouldn't recommend going the route I did with raw node-red programming. The excellent nodejs-poolcontroller does a lot of the raspberry pi logic and integrates with Intelliflo and can handle the Raypak as well in a much easier way. Not sure about the Intellichlor. I don't have one of those. They have links on their site for how to install the software onto the raspberry pi. Then it's just a matter of hardware and electrical. Everything I've documented in this thread can be used for the hardware side. I think Page 4 of this thread even has a bill of materials of the parts I used to make it. The pricing is probably no longer relevant though. Everything is through the roof lately.

There're probably way more projects now but I've been away from TFP for the winter; here are a few other folks doing similar things in similar ways:

EXTENSIVE guide here: Alternative Pool Automation and Sensor/Chemical Control and Integration

Here sporadically if you have questions... Good luck!

cliff a coworker pointed me to home assistant with node red and esp32 to be able to control relays and probes.
I tried and seems simple enough to do the automation. ( my coworker will help with the electronics)
I will be loading your node red code from github tonight and give it a go. Wish me luck!

Reactions: cmc0619
cliff a coworker pointed me to home assistant with node red and esp32 to be able to control relays and probes.
I tried and seems simple enough to do the automation. ( my coworker will help with the electronics)
I will be loading your node red code from github tonight and give it a go. Wish me luck!
Awesome. Start a thread! Id love to follow your progress!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.