My exposed aggregate is too rough. I need to grind it down just a bit.

Concrete grinder will give you a rough surface. Sandpaper will not last long unless it is a diamond grit, which are usually discs that fit on angle grinders. The following contractors can smooth the finish for you: commercial flooring contractors that install terrazzo floors or stone floor refinishers. Third possibility is granite counter fabricator, but they may not be comfortable with this work.

Any of these contractors will have a walk behind wet grinder that can be fitted with randomly orbiting diamond grit discs mounted on flexible pads. The pads are available in various grits from 400-2000 (polished countertop) to meet your needs. Since its wet there will be little dust and the flexible discs will smooth without grinding everything perfectly level.

The problem seems to be that the larger stones are smooth, but the cement that holds it all together has crushed rock in it rather than polished rock. The crushed rock between the larger stones is the problem.

The crushed rock us coarser than sand.

That was probably the wrong mix to begin with.

Hey crazy idea Call Tom's concrete : 916-342-2600

He pours concrete and really knows what he is doing with exposed ag. Matched my 30 year old driveway perfectly. relly a nice guy. Give him a call he may have some ideas.

If you are not attached to the look of exposed aggregate, there are several type of overlays that could be used. I have a textured acrylic deck that is 11 years old and still looks like the day it was installed. You do have to refresh the color top coat (half-day project) every 4 or 5 years, but all in all its holding up extremely well. It could be applied right over the concrete

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.