My CYA level vs. pool store

CaraR

May 23, 2011
Hola!

I went to the pool store twice to have levels checked against my results on my new test kit (TF-100). The first time I got 50 ppm for CYA level and the pool store got 60 ppm. I shut off our trichlor tab feeder and retested today and got 45ish ppm. Pool store got 70 ppm. I did my test twice and got 45-50ish both times. I'm just wondering if I should trust my number or pool store number more. :?:
The PB told me that even if the tab feeder is "off" it has some flow through it so will add small amount of chlorine and stabilizer. (Same PB also told me there is no stabilizer in trichlor tabs :hammer: ) I'd like to get the tabs out of the feeder so over time it doesn't get gunked up, but they are so snug in there that there isn't room to pry them up and out. Any ideas?

Trust your numbers...be done with the pool store. I have not been in mine in 3 years except at the end of the season to buy pool toys, leaf nets, etc 50% off.

Let the tabs that are in there disolve. It won't cause CYA to rise that much, just don't replace them :lol:

Trust yourself. In case you didn't know...you can pour the sample back and forth between the mixing bottle and the reading tube to check yourself. When you keep getting the same reading +/- 5 or so, that's your number.

If the pucks are really wedged in, let them dissolve a bit so you have some wiggle room. But then you'll have to dispose of them. You may just have to let them dissolve all the way.

dmanb2b said:
Trust your numbers...be done with the pool store. I have not been in mine in 3 years except at the end of the season to buy pool toys, leaf nets, etc 50% off.

Let the tabs that are in there disolve. It won't cause CYA to rise that much, just don't replace them :lol:

I have no plans on replacing those tabs. The PB tried to tell me that bleach has too many dissolved solids and wasn't good for my pool and that I'd have a hard time keeping it clear. :roll:

Richard320 said:
Trust yourself. In case you didn't know...you can pour the sample back and forth between the mixing bottle and the reading tube to check yourself. When you keep getting the same reading +/- 5 or so, that's your number.
Now I feel like a total dolt. Makes sense but just didn't even occur to me. I actually did the whole procedure twice. lol Good to know!

CaraR said:
Richard320 said:
Now I feel like a total dolt. Makes sense but just didn't even occur to me. I actually did the whole procedure twice. lol Good to know!

That makes at least two of us :goodjob: That's what I love about TFP, we are all here to help each other :wink:

CaraR said:
dmanb2b said:

I have no plans on replacing those tabs. The PB tried to tell me that bleach has too many dissolved solids and wasn't good for my pool and that I'd have a hard time keeping it clear. :roll:

Yep...and my pool store told me the water out of my tap had CYA in it...

no-mas said:
FWIW, you don't need to check the CYA all that frequently. Unless something has happened to cause you to want to check more frequently, monthly is usually ok.

Yeah, thanks. I was only testing that frequently because when we took possession of the house I did initial tests. Then after filling the tab feeder for the 2 weeks before we moved in, I wanted to see how it changed with the tabs. Since there is a learning curve with the test, I was using it as a chance to "practice" with the new test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Trust the TF100 kit. I have CYA of 30 at open, used pucks and left over di-chlor for shock, got my CYA to a nice 60ppm level which is where my pool likes to be. When I went to pool store to get some muriatic acid, on a whim, I brought a water sample. All #'s were pretty darn close, but they tested my CYA at 20! I ignored their recommendation to add stabilizer. Went back about a month later for some more muriatic acid, again they tested my CYA, but reading this time was 60! I had done nothing but add bleach in btw tests. So, trust your test kit reading.

Well... One word of caution... I was frustrated by the difference between MY CYA readings and the pool store. (The test results from the poolstore and their recomendations are pure entertainment from me)...

Turns out that it was my fault.

Here's what I would do:

Go poolside, check my CYA readings. Grab a sample.

Drive out to the pool store. Wait in line for them to check my water.

And, they would always come up with higher readings.

One day I asked: Why are your readings always higher? I think you need to calibrate your machine. Then they showed me that they don't use the machine for the CYA test because it's not accurate. They used the same test that I was using.

HUH? Is my eyesight that bad?

Without a heater in the pacific northwest, my water temperature is pretty cold. Turns out that by the time I got the sample to the pool store, it would warm up enough to effect a different reading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.