My cc is a 9..fc is 1

Apr 28, 2018
Hello..I just opened my 16x32 inground vinyl lined pool. It was very green. Almost black. I shocked it with 7pounds of cali shock on the first day. On the third day I used an algecide (recommended dosage for intial use with lots of algae) my water then turned very cloudy. The next day I used 2 more bags of Cali shock but the water is still very cloudy. I can’t see if algae is at the bottom or not. I tried adding a clarifier with no luck. I should also add that I have been running filter 24/7 and have had the chlorinator full.
I tested my water and :
ph 7.2
alk 80
fc 1
cc 9
tc 10
harsness is 200
cya is below 20

i suspect fc is the issue but I’m not sure how to fix it. All the calculations I have found is saying to add 25 gallons of bleach. Is this correct?? What can I do?? Please help

With a CC that high, you may have ammonia. You can pick up an ammonia test at a fish store. If it is present, you will need a lot of bleach right off the bat to knock it down. It is imperative though that you get every last leaf out of the pool before you start this SLAM.

What test kit are you using?

:wave: Welcome to TFP Angel

We'll be happy to help but please don't add anymore pool store chemicals. Please add your pools info to your signature as outlined here - - > Pool School - Getting Started

You need to perform a SLAM and you'll likely need at lest 10+ gallons to start with. SLAM instructions - - > Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
I would add some stabilizer to get to 30 and remember once you add it that might take a week to show up so just add enough and take it for granted you're at 30 and then start the SLAM. You should try to maintain an FC of 12. Maintain is the key, test often. CYA/FC chart - - > Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
25 gallons of bleach is a lot of bleach !! How big is your pool, gallons that is ??

Is your chlorinator a liquid bleach one or something in line that uses tablets or pucks ??

Really bad case of the green monster can take a lot of bleach as shown in this persons example.

Attachments

• Bleach bottles  1.jpg
    Bleach bottles 1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 112
F270A57D-1EDC-4827-8F6F-522BD9C5A3AC.jpg3CFF3E51-38B6-4C43-B020-598065AA36C4.jpgMy chlorinator uses the pucks which is why I’m surprised the cya is so low.
I will try to upload pics of what the pool looked like when we first opened it a week ago and what it looks like now.
I use the tf-100 kit to test the water which uses the dpd.

There are so many unknowns like what strength bleach are we talking about too. Some are 6% and they vary up to 12.5% that I know of. They also come in different sizes. You have to make sure you don't get anything scented or splashless or easy pour. The additives in those can cause foaming. You just want everyday basic laundry or pool bleach. You need to make sure you're talking apples to apples and not tossing in an orange so to speak.
Don't worry about not being able to see the bottom as mentioned above just use the net to get as much stuff as you can off the bottom. The less "stuff" sitting down there the less bleach you'll need to clear up the pool.

This is what you use to figure out how much of what to add - -> PoolMath

Because bleach comes in different strengths and sizes this will tell you how much you're paying per ounce of actual bleach so you can compare a 6% 128 oz bottle to a 12.5% 96 oz one to see which is the better deal - - > Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic view in that photo. Looks like you've come a long way in cleaning it up since you opened. Just takes patience and please stay away from the clarifier !! I've been there wanting to get it clean but it's usually more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks so much for your quick reply’s. I am new to using this forum.

According to the pool math calc 196oz of 6% bleach will raise fc 1688.
Does that mean 1.7ppm?
I have googled and researched until my brain is about to explode.lol
so much talk about a chlorination breakpoint.
Is this really a thing?

thank you kiss a frog!!!

Big breath ... Ask a lot of questions ... Relax as much as possible.

How many gallons is the pool ?? That number has to be entered in the top of the calculator PoolMath At the top you'll see "Now" & "Target" If your pool was say 18K and you're presently sitting at 1ppm FC (The Now) and you wanted to go to 12ppm (The Target) you'd need a little over 3 gallons of 6%. should read 412 oz

You need to try and fill in all the parameters you can in the calculator. The more info in there the more accurate you're results. Like a computer, garbage in, garbage out :D

so much talk about a chlorination breakpoint. < - - I don't know what that is but I can swear that most of us have been at that head is about to explode point too and it's how we ended up here. We can help. It will be clear and best of all sanitary. I realized a while back you can have clear clean looking water but it can be deceiving. I love my water with TFP and using cheap and easy to get chemicals to do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I watched the video but I don’t remember it saying how long it needs to stay in shock mode. According to the calc my pool is about 30500 gallons. It’s a gradual slope though. It goes from 3-8 and it asked how deep so I put 8.
Once the slam is completed do I maintain with pucks and bleach or just bleach?

Jistt bleach. You want to maintain the shock level until you can pass an OCLT, YOUR CCs are .5ppm and less and your waster is crystal clear. To stop prematurely would be a waste of money and time!

Hello and Welcome to TFP!

To figure out your volume, you need to use the average depth, so in your case use 5 or 5.5 feet as the depth.

When you put the gallons into PoolMath, don't use any commas. Use XXXXX instead of XX,XXX. It treats a comma as a decimal (for other locations that use that system). That's why your FC showed so high in post #9.

The pool needs to stay in SLAM (Shock Level And Maintain) mode until you pass all 3 criteria in the process. Clear water, CC below 0.5ppm, Pass the OCLT. It's all laid out in the SLAM article

According to the pool math calc 5 gallons of 6% bleach was supposed to take my fc from 1 to 12.
I added that, retested an hour later and it only raised it to 1.5 which was only an increase of .5..
Will I ever get to shock level? Because by those calculations it’s gonna take me 55 gallons of bleach just to get to 12

You have a very high CC. You will need a lot of chlorine to bring that down before you can achieve shock level. If you have any debris in the pool, it needs to come out!

If you have ammonia in the water it is going to take a lot of chlorine to get rid of it. Any chlorine you add will be gone in 10 minutes as it reacts with the ammonia. Eventually the chlorine will win and FC will start to hold, but it’s going to take a lot of chlorine, time, and patience.

I had a similar opening experience last year. Opened the pool to blankets of algae and I went from 100 CYA at close to 0 at opening. My 30,000 gallon pool took about 30-40 gallons of 12.5% bleach to finally hold a FC reading longer than an hour to get a reading (0.5 FC!)

It's frustrating to dump chlorine $$$ into the pool and see no results, but you're doing the right thing. It took me two weeks for the water to finally get clear after it lost its greenish color. Keep at it and you will get there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.