Mustard or regular algae

Hi Everyone,

With the recent abnormal hot temps here in Ontario Canada (loving it BTW), my pool temps have hit 90 - 92. I religiously use a solar blanket (clear) during the week when pool is not in use. Looks like with the warmer water I was not as diligent with testing my FC levels.

I looked under the cover Wed evening and thought I saw some sand from my filer (new pump installed several days earlier) on the bottom of the pool so I rolled off the cover to find my deep end bottom 50% covered and also had some on the walls. At this point I knew it was not sand from my filter. The colour was yellow/browish. I vacuumed and brushed the pool immediately and bumped to slam levels.

I removed my cake stairs and their appeared to be a regular greenish colour under them mixed with dirt.

Wed test's
FC 3 (bumped to slam level 12)
CC 0
PH 7.6 (adjusted to 7.2 before slam)
TA 80
CYA 30

Thurs
Morning 5am - lost approx 5FC over night. Bumped to slam, left for work
Continued to keep pool at slam levels (12) best I can. Work 45 mins away (so early morning, right after work 4:30ish, then 10pm)

Thurs 4:30
FC 8 (bumped to slam)
CC still showing 0 (problem with my drops???)

10pm
FC 10 (bumped to slam)

Fri morning (5am)
Lost approx 1FC bumped to slam (5am)

Current (tested by wife before she went to work)
FC 12
CC 0

When I got home yesterday I can see the deep end bottom but there is still a haze to the water. Shallow end is crystal clear, this morning I couldnt tell it was dark still.

So, given the above info do you think the deep end was mustard Alage (colour??). My pool has direct sunlight from 10am to 7pm, so I am uncertain as everything i read states mustard algae grows in shaded areas. I have no shade (especially deepend) until 7pm

Thx

Continue the SLAM Process! You're on the right track and have been doing a good job trying to maintain your FC of 12. Catching the junk under the stairs was a big one, and make sure to remove or inspect anything else in the water, including behind a light if you have one in a niche. Make sure to backwash when the filter pressure increases by about 25%, scrub daily, and fight the fight. While it may have seemed light the algae bloom exploded almost overnight, it was probably there working its way up to a good show for days before you actually saw it. Whether or not it's actually mustard is hard to tell yet. Most times it's really not, just good old algae. In either case, the remedy is the same …. a regular SLAM for now. Stick with it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.