Mustard algae?

You may be referring to the regular daily FC levels, but remember you are still in the middle of a SLAM Process. You should be using the SLAM tab in the FC/CYA Levels which tells us if your CYA is 40, the FC level should be 16. If your CYA is 50, then an FC of 20. You must continue to maintain that level and do the daily brushing, vacuuming, etc until you pass all 3 SLALM criteria. The SLAM Process works if you follows that page carefully as Dave noted above.

As for accurate FC testing, the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) is by far the best method. That is why both the TF-100 from tftestkits..net and the Taylor K-2006 from Taylor Industries include it in their kits.
Yeah, I just meant after the slam process, I'm keeping steady at 20 (40 drops which is a lot of 0871 product even after buying a 2 oz bottle) FC for my CYA of 50. I just meant AFTER the slam process. Testing chlorine every day or every other day, if there was a faster slightly easier way than the powder, drop method (FAS-DPD).

I just meant AFTER the slam process. Testing chlorine every day or every other day, if there was a faster slightly easier way than the powder, drop method (FAS-DPD).
Not really. When we start to get really low on powder or drops, sometimes we will switch to a 5 ml water sample in which case it just needs one level scoop of powder, then each drop is 1 ppm. So 20 drops = 20 FC. Not as accurate as the 10 ml, but okay for a short time to stay in the FC ballpark.

Yeah, I just meant after the slam process, I'm keeping steady at 20 (40 drops which is a lot of 0871 product even after buying a 2 oz bottle) FC for my CYA of 50. I just meant AFTER the slam process. Testing chlorine every day or every other day, if there was a faster slightly easier way than the powder, drop method (FAS-DPD).
Hello from another TFP’er from Florence. What part of town are you in? (I’m near the YMCA). It looks like you’re on track to getting this taken care of, but if you need any help let me know.

Testing chlorine every day or every other day, if there was a faster slightly easier way than the powder, drop method (FAS-DPD).
Sure. Use the R-0600 that came with your kit. It's the yellow side of the comparator block.......red side is the pH.

It won't be as precise but many people use it for everyday testing

the R-0600 and yellow side for chlorine only goes to 5 for me..... for cya 40 you need to be in between 5-7 right? Even at the lowest of CYA 30, its 5.
Yes, but with minimal experience, it's pretty easy (and quick to see if it's too low or too high (it starts to turn orange if you get too high)

The Drops based FAS/DPD test is still the best for precision but many use the R-0060 as a "ball park" everyday check.

Reactions: Tscott667
Yes, but with minimal experience, it's pretty easy (and quick to see if it's too low or too high (it starts to turn orange if you get too high)

The Drops based FAS/DPD test is still the best for precision but many use the R-0060 as a "ball park" everyday check.
Thanks! I think I'm past slam. FC not going down at all over night. CC is below .5 just very little tiny dead algae im vacuuming. It's now been two weeks at SLAM levels. Quick question though. The Pool math calculator says TA to be between 80-120 BUT Pool School says 60-80, 90 MAX. So which Should I go by?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! I think I'm past slam. FC not going down at all over night. CC is below .5 just very little tiny dead algae im vacuuming. It's now been two weeks at SLAM levels. Quick question though. The Pool math calculator says TA to be between 80-120 BUT Pool School says 60-80, 90 MAX. So which Should I go by?
Ta Too low - below 50- can be an issue
Anything above that is fine, really high ta can make maintaining ph in the 7’s a chore for some so the “recommended” levels are for what is ideal but a higher than 90 or 120 ta doesn’t hurt anything. It is literally the last parameter to worry about unless it’s low. U mainly just need to test & know the # so you can accurately adjust ph with acid via PoolMath As u maintain ph to keep it in the 7’s with acid the ta will lower.
Fc (based on cya level)
Cc
& ph are your main concerns daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.