Mustard algae

I have a similar sediment in my pool occasionally. Have tovac daily for 3-4 days to get ro of it. Because I always pass ocl and water always crystal clear, I'm certain it is fine dust collected from windy area. It seems wors after I mow, which tends to confirm my assumption

Madwil, that's a very good point. I just mowed on Sunday and now I have some more of the brown sediment. I haven't performed the OCLT yet but I need to do that asap. I just got back from my local Walmart, where I picked up 7 gallons of liquid chlorine. I believe I will perform a slam just to see if this stuff goes away.

I'm with you. I've still got some sediment too but passing OCLT so no longer shocking. I allowed FC to slowly drift back down to normal levels, but FC dropped after I added too much water. Went from 9 to 7.5 after the add and down to 5.5 the following day. Added one bottle of bleach and still passed the OCLT. Not sure what to make of the sediment so I just keep sweeping and watching FC like a hawk.

Aralph, do you have a manual vacuum? I have read where some folks have to vacuum to waste to get rid of the stuff. I personally don't have a manual vacuum, so I'm hoping robot and filter can get rid of this stuff.

Funny, I was looking for a post about the same sediment that is collecting in the same spots of my pool. Always where the shallow end meets the "cliff" and starts to slant down to create the deeper part of the pool and along the edges where the sloped sides meet the bottom. When I brush, is just clouds up, and several days later is back. I am on day 3 of SLAM, and am losing very little FC, so I am nearing an attempt on the OCLT. I have uploaded some photos to Shutterfly, and you can see them here - Photos.

Is this algae bloom? Do I just keep brushing it while I complete my SLAM/OCLT, or do I need to vacuum it to the filter, or what?

Also, my filter sand is about 5 years old, will replacing it, help with algae problems?

Funny, I was looking for a post about the same sediment that is collecting in the same spots of my pool. Always where the shallow end meets the "cliff" and starts to slant down to create the deeper part of the pool and along the edges where the sloped sides meet the bottom. When I brush, is just clouds up, and several days later is back. I am on day 3 of SLAM, and am losing very little FC, so I am nearing an attempt on the OCLT. I have uploaded some photos to Shutterfly, and you can see them here - Photos.

Is this algae bloom? Do I just keep brushing it while I complete my SLAM/OCLT, or do I need to vacuum it to the filter, or what?

Also, my filter sand is about 5 years old, will replacing it, help with algae problems?
Once you pass OCLT go to MA SLAM level for 24 hrs to be on the safe side. Then let your FC level slowly drift down to normal levels. After that if you still see sediment go ahead and vac to waste and see of it disappears. But keep brushing till you pass OCLT.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What do you mean by "properly cared for"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mean that the filter is not neglected, backwashes are performed as needed, deep clean the sand at the end of each season, and don't use clearifiers or other pool $tore potions that will gunk up the sand and cause it to clump and channel.

What makes you think the sand is only good for 5 years?

I only said that because when I was at the pool store getting a few parts, the girl asked me about how my pool was doing since I had a couple spells of MA last year, and I told her it was back, and she mentioned that it could be that my sand needed replacing. She said it only lasts about 5 years. Is that just another pool store ploy to get us to spend more $$ with them??

I brushed away the "sediment" or whatever that was in my photos, last night, and it is back in the exact same spots again this am. Still in SLAM, lost 1.5 FC from midnight to 8 AM today, so I will keep brushing and SLAM'ing.

I only said that because when I was at the pool store getting a few parts, the girl asked me about how my pool was doing since I had a couple spells of MA last year, and I told her it was back, and she mentioned that it could be that my sand needed replacing. She said it only lasts about 5 years. Is that just another pool store ploy to get us to spend more $$ with them??

I brushed away the "sediment" or whatever that was in my photos, last night, and it is back in the exact same spots again this am. Still in SLAM, lost 1.5 FC from midnight to 8 AM today, so I will keep brushing and SLAM'ing.
Sand is not a sanitizer, and whether it is new (well, new in the filter as sand is billions of years old already), or 5-years old, it will not get rid of algae.

If you suspect mustard algae, be sure to raise FC to mustard level for 24 hours after you complete a SLAM.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/148-mustard-algae

Regarding your sediment question, I had the exact same sediment issue this season when opening so I treated it as algae and ultimately as MA. After I passed the SLAM and went to MA level and then back down to normal level the sediment was still there. It would always return after brushing and running my cleaner. It wasn't till I vacuumed to waste that it completely disappeared.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.