Mustard Algae type 2

Brian,

Of the constants you provided, let's look at them: water source; city water, liner, ladder and hoses.

Can't be your liner, ladder or hoses, so the only left is water. It might not even be the water. Another constant was your DE filter that you have now removed. Look on TFP on how to clean cartridge filters and see what's inside the filters and bottom of the housing?

Whatever you are seeing in your pool, take a sample of it to the city and see if they will test it for you? But, a way to isolate this possible issue, how close are your neighbors w pools? Contact them and determine if they have had any issues like this? If they are on the same water leg and no problems, then it's local to you. If yes, see what they did about it?

I think your sand filter broke and this is what you were seeing. Buy or borrow a robot to clean your pool, examine/clean your filters and you should get to the root of this if no nbor has had/is having the same problems.

Let us know what you discover.

good luck, tstex

- - - Updated - - -

I seem to be having a similar problem and will start a slam. Would Mustard Algae cause high PH levels? My PH rises from 7.4 to 8.0 in 2 days.

- - - Updated - - -

No, lots of aeration and baking soda or similar increases pH - MA or algae, along w UV reduces FC

I too have been dealing with what I think is mustard algae. I have been doing the SLAM process since mid-May. My enemy looks like patches of either white to light gray sediment or a yellowish sandy brown sediment. I brush constantly. I have thoroughly cleaned my brand new DE Grid filter, I vacuum to waste, I backwash.....The pool will look beautiful for several hours....and then it appears. I also have it reappear on my steps and in my skimmers. It's definitely something organic. It decreases with higher levels of chlorine, but gains strength if the level drifts down. I feel your pain. The inexpensive method has become very expensive over 2 months! My algae resembles sand, but doesn't feel like sand. Is yours like that?

Brian,

read this thread - I believe here's your answer:

Sand filter is sending dirty water back into the pool
I read that and I have suspected my pump is too powerful at 1hp. I posted about it earlier in this thread. But now that I have a cartridge filter this is taken out of the equation.

Brian,

Of the constants you provided, let's look at them: water source; city water, liner, ladder and hoses.

Can't be your liner, ladder or hoses, so the only left is water. It might not even be the water. Another constant was your DE filter that you have now removed. Look on TFP on how to clean cartridge filters and see what's inside the filters and bottom of the housing?

Whatever you are seeing in your pool, take a sample of it to the city and see if they will test it for you? But, a way to isolate this possible issue, how close are your neighbors w pools? Contact them and determine if they have had any issues like this? If they are on the same water leg and no problems, then it's local to you. If yes, see what they did about it?

I think your sand filter broke and this is what you were seeing. Buy or borrow a robot to clean your pool, examine/clean your filters and you should get to the root of this if no nbor has had/is having the same problems.

Let us know what you discover.

good luck, tstex

The filter was not broken until I tried to change the sand and clean the laterals.

I checked with the neighbors and they have never had this issue. One of them only shocks his pool once a week and does nothing else, chemical wise. He does vacuum when needed. I keep up on all my chemicals and follow the TFP suggestions and I have all these issues.

I too have been dealing with what I think is mustard algae. I have been doing the SLAM process since mid-May. My enemy looks like patches of either white to light gray sediment or a yellowish sandy brown sediment. I brush constantly. I have thoroughly cleaned my brand new DE Grid filter, I vacuum to waste, I backwash.....The pool will look beautiful for several hours....and then it appears. I also have it reappear on my steps and in my skimmers. It's definitely something organic. It decreases with higher levels of chlorine, but gains strength if the level drifts down. I feel your pain. The inexpensive method has become very expensive over 2 months! My algae resembles sand, but doesn't feel like sand. Is yours like that?

Yes. Exactly.

Brian,

Try these 3 things:

* bring your FC up to 18-20 ppm in the early morning [right after light]
* then remove all visible debris
* once all removed, turn-off your pump and view every hr...obviously this must be done on a Sat or Sun or a day you do not work...

tomorrow is Saturday if your game...also, make sure no one goes into pool for the day

Brian,

Try these 3 things:

* bring your FC up to 18-20 ppm in the early morning [right after light]
* then remove all visible debris
* once all removed, turn-off your pump and view every hr...obviously this must be done on a Sat or Sun or a day you do not work...

tomorrow is Saturday if your game...also, make sure no one goes into pool for the day

Tomorrow is my youngest son's birthday. He is having a bunch of friends over for a party. That is why I was freaking out about draining the pool earlier this week.

I can try it Sunday though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
7/21/18
FC 7.5
CC 0
added 64 oz 10% liquid chlorine. This should bring me to 14 or so.

7/22/18
FC 13
CC 0

1-2" of rain last night. I am going to raise FC to 20, vac the pool and turn off the filter today. Report to follow.

edit: 96 oz 10% liquid chlorine added to bring the FC to over 20. In an hour or so I will vac and then turn off the filter.

Pool vacuumed. Filter off. FC should be about 23.

I am thinking it may be something with the liner. After the drain and refill I noted what looked like grayish white algae on the floor. It is not. It's like the liner is strained grayish white. Those lines were not there before the drain and refill.

ca80f48dec9c53476042198b995634c8.jpg

142a31f88336dd8deb3a1a40bb51ad09.jpg

Hi Brian,

I've been watching your thread since my situation seemed similar. My stuff does go away when I have vacuum to waste or I brush, but returns after several hours. To what degree and color it returns depends on the FC level.

Does your last post mean you feel you don't have algae?

If so, I am extremely happy for you.

You can see my thread under "Losing the Resistant Mustard Algae Battle".

Hi Brian,

I've been watching your thread since my situation seemed similar. My stuff does go away when I have vacuum to waste or I brush, but returns after several hours. To what degree and color it returns depends on the FC level.

Does your last post mean you feel you don't have algae?

If so, I am extremely happy for you.

You can see my thread under "Losing the Resistant Mustard Algae Battle".

I am at a loss as to what I have or don't have. I am noticing other in the same situation and there seems to not be any proven solution to this. Slamming is not working. I have had my pool upwards of 40ppm with a cya of 30 and it still did not solve this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.