Mustard Algae type 2

FC 42
CC .5

Brushed

More accumulation this afternoon and evening than over night and morning.

I did have the filter off for a bit while I was installing the SPST relay. Hmm.

I am really hoping there is some progress in tonight's OCLT. I am starting to lose confidence. The last 2 days were in the 90s and I could only sweat at the side of the pool. Maybe I should get some new sand and add some DE to try and polish the water? I am grasping at straws and starting to doubt my own sanity. From what I have been taught over the last 15 years or so is that nothing can survive in the chlorine levels I have been maintaining.

Just checked my water rates. I can drain and refill for less than 20 bucks. $1.81/1000 gallons. Maybe change the liner at the same time since mine is bleached out.

edit: I am thinking I will let the FC drop to shock or just below shock levels this way the family can use the pool. I will replace the filter sand and add some DE to polish the water. If all this does not work then next year I will drain it, replace the liner and refill.

FC 40
CC .5

OCLT loss of 2 ppm. I read that the fas/dpd test has a 10% margin of error at chlorine levels above 10 ppm. Could this account for my "losses"?

Typical amount of accumulation on the floor this morning. It is worse than it looks in the picture.

a9a4f315de76e124a84e2ad772a47bb5.jpg

FC 26
CC 0
2 nights in a row OCLT passed

The last chlorine addition was 128 oz 10% liquid on 7/5 2240

Today I am going to start letting the FC drift down below shock level. Vac to waste. Replace the filter sand. Take the ladder apart and scrub it inside and out with a strong bleach solution. Then start swimming as soon as the FC levels are low enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Full set of test results

FC 27.5
CC 0
PH 7.5-7.8
TA 130
CYA 40

Thanks @tstex for the support. A little nudging is always helpful to keep chugging on. Local pool store opens at 0900. 100 lbs filter sand and backwash hose are in order. The grass is just starting to come back. Don't want to burn it again.

FC 16.5
CC .5

FC 13.5
CC 0

Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
When I was changing the sand in the filter I broke the vertical pipe. No big deal. After I got the lateral out and I was washing them off one of them disintegrated I my hands. The plastic was so brittle.

Of course no one has a lateral assembly in stock. I had to special order one.

Now I have no filter. After all this!.
I start calling friends that have taken their pool down and offered me their filter, which I declined of course. I get a Columbia sand filter from a neighbor. The lateral assembly is broken. Ugh. I call another friend and he still has the black diamond power clean cartridge filter he was going to throw out. It is a 45 minute ride each way. I put my filter back together and put it in recirculation last night. I go get the cartridge filter this morning and clean It out. It is a 120 square ft element. He pool is bigger than mine so I goes it is ok?. I ran this filter all day and will continue with it until the lateral assembly comes in unless this is a better filter than my Hayward s166t?.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.