Mustard Algae type 2

Wow, 80 drops per test. That would be 8 Reg tests at FC = 5.

Good luck Brian...w a FC = 40, that's a pretty strong cocktail...make sure you're running that strength through all your water features and all piping. If that doesn't get it, you may have mustard algae type 8

Brian- thanks for the info about your ma growing in the depressions of your pool. We also have a sand liner and the sand pool bottom was flooded last year because my brother pulled a plug out of the middle of the pool’s side, releasing 5,000 gallons of water. That is why I have new squiggle lines of algae I can’t get rid of! It has to be new depressions under the spool. We had the sand compacted before we laid the pool down. I also had to order a super size fas-dpd replacement kit; I so feel your pain!!!!! Good luck! And if you can find some place to test that algae, please let us know what it is. I personally think it’s some sort of mutated super algae kind of like an antibiotic resistant bacteria.

I personally think it’s some sort of mutated super algae kind of like an antibiotic resistant bacteria.
I am going to be harsh.....that is simply wishful thinking. Thousands and thousands of pools are maintained with TFP procedures and, when you dedicate yourself to following these procedures, your pool will clear up. So, can there be an exception?? Not in my opinion.....sooner or later chlorine gets everything and adequate chlorine keeps it away.

Just got home.
FC 17.5
CC 0
CYA 25

Vacuumed. I am not sure if I am going crazy or color blind but it seemed like some of the accumulation this evening was more gray in color than brown.

Not sure why the CYA tested so low today, it tested 50 3 days ago. A little water replacement but not much. Maybe that is why I have been losing so much during the day. I actually tested twice to be sure.

I added 196 oz 10% liquid chlorine. That should bring me up to around 37 ppm.

I added another pound of CYA. That should bring me to 40.

CYA at 25 brings the MA shock to 17. I have not been below that since 5 days ago.

I hope my fas/dpd reagents get here Monday. I do not think I have enough of the drops for tomorrow. I hope I have enough to do a OCLT in the morning.

Of course, this year the kids are itching to get in the pool. If I did not have bad luck I would have no luck.

I might go to Wal-Mart tomorrow and order a pallet of liquid chlorine! LOL

FC 38.5
CC .5

OCLT = 1.5 - 2.5 The range is due to not having enough reagents and not being able to test after the chlorine addition last night. But according to PoolMath my FC level should have risen to 40.x so that is why I estimated 40-41.

Some accumulation on the floor but it is brown, nothing gray this morning.

Based on the OCLT things are getting better. Another day or 2 and I should pass the OCLT. If I pass the OCLT and the stuff still accumulates what do I do then?

If the algae looks more grey, that's a good sign.

Hopefully, it will be over soon.

A 9 year SLAM probably qualifies for the SLAM Hall of Fame.

A nine year SLAM means I missed out on buying stock of the company selling the CL b4 the SLAM.

Hopefully your refill kit will arrive soon so you can resume testing, and will fresh chemicals.

I think a 40 CYA will be better than lower to achieve higher FC levels. Also, make sure you drop your last big levels of CL in right after the sun sets for maximum focus on the MA.

Finally, if your new test kit doesn't slow signs of your high level SLAMS working, I'll start a go find me acct to fly Dave out to NY.

Keep it up Brian, you'll get this done w Std TFP MA SLAM levels. Just one ques, where do you store your bleach ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A nine year SLAM means I missed out on buying stock of the company selling the CL b4 the SLAM.

Hopefully your refill kit will arrive soon so you can resume testing, and will fresh chemicals.

I think a 40 CYA will be better than lower to achieve higher FC levels. Also, make sure you drop your last big levels of CL in right after the sun sets for maximum focus on the MA.

Finally, if your new test kit doesn't slow signs of your high level SLAMS working, I'll start a go find me acct to fly Dave out to NY.

Keep it up Brian, you'll get this done w Std TFP MA SLAM levels. Just one ques, where do you store your bleach ?

I put in 2 gallons thus far today. I am going to dump a third tonight. This should keep the levels high enough, based on the past few days of chlorine history.

Do you have wedding cake steps or anywhere algae can breed in a protected low circulation area?

I purposely left everything out of the pool for this. No steps, ladder or anything else. It is just a round tub of water with nothing else in it.

I would need to get a backwash hose. I never used one but with these high chlorine levels the waste water is killing my grass.

Brian,

You should buy enough PVC of the correct ID to insert the hose and divert the waste water to the street or wherever is best permitted. You don't want that water soaking into the ground to tree roots and similar.

Keep applying the CL and you knock out this algae.

Added 128 oz 10% liquid chlorine last night around 8pm.

7am this morning I added another 128 oz 10% liquid chlorine.

My fas/dpd refills are scheduled to be deliver this afternoon with the mail, around 3pm.

Some accumulation on the floor this morning, about 16 hours since last nights vacuuming. I brushed again.

FC 33.5
CC .5

Much less accumulation since this morning.

Adding in another 128 oz of 10% liquid chlorine going in. That should bring me to 46.

I will test after sundown and see where we are.

On a side note, added my pump into my Homeseer system with a z-wave appliance module and a SPST relay. Pool Life will be so much easier with this alone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.