Lemonhead

Jun 3, 2020
Middletown NY-211
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m slamming my pool right now. I have 2 questions if you guys can help. Is adding water ok or should I avoid if possible? I don’t want to throw the ph off .
Also when done slamming , I want to do a mustard algae slam for 24 hours . I’m having a hard time reading the chart . My cya is 60 and I’m slamming/maintaining 24ppm. How many ppm for the mustard algae ?

Adding water is fine. Once you pass all 3 regular SLAM criteria, take the FC up to 35 for MA treatment only for 24 hrs. It's listed on this chart linked below.

This is my first mustard algae slam. I have to try and maintain 35 ppm. It’s sunny and windy but I check every 2 hours and it’s down to 27 . Does this mean I indeed have mustard algae?

My 24 hour mustard algae slam will be complete by the time I get home from work. I went to bed it was at 35ppm I woke up to 32 ppm . I added chlorine and I’m off to work. I brushed and vacuumed multiple times . After this is over and I do a final vac. If dead algae appears on pool bottom does this mean I failed doing the slam ? Is it normal to see dead algae on pool floor ? Should I keep slamming ? I know mustard algae says only 24 hours but maybe keep regular slam going . I just want this stuff on pool floor out of my life

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If dead algae appears on pool bottom does this mean I failed doing the slam ? Is it normal to see dead algae on pool floor ? Should I keep slamming ? I know mustard algae says only 24 hours but maybe keep regular slam going . I just want this stuff on pool floor out of my life
Many people think that have Mustard Algae (MA) when in fact they really don't. But when someone has enough evidence to support they have MA, it is absolutely critical that they pass all 3 "regular' SLAM criteria first. Once that is done, all standard signs of algae (green, dead algae, etc) are generally gone. The 24 hr MA period is designed to eradicate the MA spores that you probably won't see with the human eye. It's a final "deep chlorinating" to kill those very fine spores that are embedded in pool surfaces and are somewhat resistant to regular SLAM levels. Once the 24-hr MA treatment is complete, it doesn't necessarily mean you will see a bunchy of dead algae or dust on the pool floor.

So if you are seeing a lot of residual stuff on the floor, you may either have pollen or some other seasonal debris settling on the pool floor. It could also be dead algae from the regular SLAM. But again, passing the 3 criteria from the SLAM Process is always step #1.

Reactions: proavia
Many people think that have Mustard Algae (MA) when in fact they really don't. But when someone has enough evidence to support they have MA, it is absolutely critical that they pass all 3 "regular' SLAM criteria first. Once that is done, all standard signs of algae (green, dead algae, etc) are generally gone. The 24 hr MA period is designed to eradicate the MA spores that you probably won't see with the human eye. It's a final "deep chlorinating" to kill those very fine spores that are embedded in pool surfaces and are somewhat resistant to regular SLAM levels. Once the 24-hr MA treatment is complete, it doesn't necessarily mean you will see a bunchy of dead algae or dust on the pool floor.

So if you are seeing a lot of residual stuff on the floor, you may either have pollen or some other seasonal debris settling on the pool floor. It could also be dead algae from the regular SLAM. But again, passing the 3 criteria from the SLAM Process is always step #1.

the three criteria I can pass though
1. Water is crystal clear
2. Overnight test
3. Less than 1 cc

Is it possible that when I vac that the bristle parts on the vac poof the stuff away before it gets a chance to actually be vacuumed and that’s why it reappears. Maybe I’m never actually getting it. I’ll stop with the questions. I feel like I’m being annoying. Thanks for all the help you’ve guys given. This is a great group !!!!

Ask all the questions you need to. That's why we're here. Can't speak for your vacuum though. You want t a good vacuum head so that you don't tear the liner that's for sure.

Maybe a typo above, but in your note above, the SLAM passing combined chlorine should be 0.5 or less. :)

Water crystal clear includes no signs of algae - alive or dead.
Please verify your reading of 1ppm for the CC test. It's supposed to be no greater than 0.5ppm.

If there was dead algae or CC above 0.5, you didn't pass the SLAM.
No reason to go to mustard algae levels until you pass all three criteria of a regular SLAM.

Water crystal clear includes no signs of algae - alive or dead.
Please verify your reading of 1ppm for the CC test. It's supposed to be no greater than 0.5ppm.

If there was dead algae or CC above 0.5, you didn't pass the SLAM.
No reason to go to mustard algae levels until you pass all three criteria of a regular SLAM.
Yes I messed up the number . I’m at work going too fast . I thought below 1 is a pass. I’ve had zero cc at regular slam lever before moving on to mustard. At mustard I did have a 0.5 . Never more . Thanks everyone

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.