Mustard algae in my filter ?????

The powder in my pool has gone away. The water has been crystal clear for a while now. I am going to have to say in my case it was pollen that settled to the bottom. A friend of mine went through the same thing and now it's gone for him too.

This is an interesting thread. I also, have this issue. My numbers are all good, but almost everyday, I brush up this powder. It is the thickest on my stairs, where it settles. My pool also is in full sun from about 9am till 6/7pm, here in SW Florida, with greenery year round. I also shocked at mustard levels- for a full week. The problem disappeared for a couple of weeks. It just keeps coming back. I have just given up, brush it up every morning towards the return on the pool bottom. My pool does look a lot better following this schedule. I also use a sock in the skimmer and the filter leaf basket. I am using liquid chlorine.. I am reading pool school over and over and over.... it's making sense. I will accept it's pollen and just keep sweeping it up.

RobbieH said:
In regards to needing a DE filter to get rid of mustard algae, I disagree. I've successfully rid my pool of it with my sand filter.
If you were talking about my post, I was talking about DE catching Pollen, not mustard algae. Never said it was necessary for mustard algae. Just to clarify.....

swimmingfool said:
This is an interesting thread. I also, have this issue. My numbers are all good, but almost everyday, I brush up this powder. It is the thickest on my stairs, where it settles. My pool also is in full sun from about 9am till 6/7pm, here in SW Florida, with greenery year round. I also shocked at mustard levels- for a full week. The problem disappeared for a couple of weeks. It just keeps coming back. I have just given up, brush it up every morning towards the return on the pool bottom. My pool does look a lot better following this schedule. I also use a sock in the skimmer and the filter leaf basket. I am using liquid chlorine.. I am reading pool school over and over and over.... it's making sense. I will accept it's pollen and just keep sweeping it up.

I have now been using socks over the return jets as well as in the skimmer and it does catch this stuff, it is now clear around the areas that were previously worse affected. Having said this we are now in winter and although the pool is still usable the water temp is a bit cool to say the least. I am going to continue with the socks where they are and see how things shape up when it gets back to a nice warm temp in the spring.

To fit the socks I unscrewed the caps and fitted the socks over and screwed the caps back on, hopefully its not affecting the circulation or pressure in any way, I'm pretty sure that its not. The kids just think they look a bit strange, like wind socks underwater. Give it a try and see if it improves your problem as I guess it would be summer over there in Florida. :cool:

Yes, it is definitely summer here in Florida. My water has been clear all season, with the exception of April and early May. That is when everything is in bloom here, so I am going to just say it was not any type of algae and pollen was the the mystery dust during those months. No more dust on the bottom and all is good. Swimming everyday.

TravisD said:
Yes, it is definitely summer here in Florida. My water has been clear all season, with the exception of April and early May. That is when everything is in bloom here, so I am going to just say it was not any type of algae and pollen was the the mystery dust during those months. No more dust on the bottom and all is good. Swimming everyday.

:whoot: Enjoy, roll on summer here. :wave:

alfspop, thanks for the advise. I am willing to give it a try. I am pretty frustrated at this point. I have not been able to figure this out AND KEEP MY POOL CLEAN. I do have socks in my skimmer and the leaf basket already. Haven't done the popups though. thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi swimmingfool the other bit of advice I got on this thread was from Duraliegh who told me to give the sand filter a backwash of 3-4 minutes and then rinse for 90 seconds. I had never backwashed for more than 45 seconds and rinsed for 10 seconds on the advice of the pool shop. Not sure if that is of any help but it did improve it for me.

Good luck with it I know from the last 2 summers how soul destroying it can be.....just continually battling the same thing with no obvious improvement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.