Multiport Valve Question

Woody007

Aug 20, 2020
Midwest US
Multiport valve: Does it matter what position the handle is in for winter shutdown?
Normally the techs have left it in the winter position, but I noticed this time it's in the recirculate position.
If I move it, will that do anything to let water in the blown out lines?

Agreed. While not all valves have a Winter setting, the winterize setting serves as the "in-between" method as well. It is also a way to place the handle in between two positions as noted above and allows room for potential moisture to flow that might freeze and damage the valve. It keeps the valve handle lifted upwards a bit and helps to prevent the spider gasket (wagon wheel) from bonding to the key assembly and shredding the first time you turn it in the spring.

Reactions: Spitdog
Agreed. While not all valves have a Winter setting, the winterize setting serves as the "in-between" method as well. It is also a way to place the handle in between two positions as noted above and allows room for potential moisture to flow that might freeze and damage the valve. It keeps the valve handle lifted upwards a bit and helps to prevent the spider gasket (wagon wheel) from bonding to the key assembly and shredding the first time you turn it in the spring.
I leave mine in between two settings. With the lines blown out, plugs in skimmers and returns and air lock on main drain water can’t enter pipes.
Thanks for the responses. I moved the lever to the winter position.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.