Brick NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Recently bought new home with pool. The multiport valve should have been replaced as it was part of the request repairs; however I am no confident it was really “repaired”. When I run the pump in filter, the multiport valve makes a gargling sound (like there’s something stuck in there or like small rock kicking around). This sound is not permanent and comes and goes frequently. If I run the valve in anything else (backwash, filter, recirc) I do not hear any sounds. Any suggestions as to what it could be?

16 by 32 ig vinyl pool. Hayward DE3600 filter. Hayward 1.5HP super pump

This can happen when the flow through the multiport is too fast, especially if the water has air bubbles or dissolved gasses.

A 1.5" multiport has a faster water flow than a 2" multiport.

I suspect that the noise might be where water goes past a sharp edge and creates low pressure vortices. Possibly a type of cavitation.

The pump is really too big, especially if the multiport is 1.5".

This can happen when the flow through the multiport is too fast, especially if the water has air bubbles or dissolved gasses.

A 1.5" multiport has a faster water flow than a 2" multiport.

I suspect that the noise might be where water goes past a sharp edge and creates low pressure vortices. Possibly a type of cavitation.

The pump is really too big, especially if the multiport is 1.5".

After a lot of research (thanks to this forum!!) this is what I suspected as well. Going to do the calculations to confirm it once I finish troubleshooting all the problems with the pool. It’s definitely a 1.5” multiport valve.

Wouldnt I get the same water moving too fast in other settings (recirc) too? That’s the only thing that throws me off

- - - Updated - - -

If you choose to open it up just make sure to only hand tighten the 8 screws/nuts back together. The Hayward multi port valves are pretty much all plastic and if you crack it, it's pretty much done.

Will do. Thanks for the heads up. I’ve replaced enough parts for this summer :grin::grin::grin:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.