Multiple Pumps on Hayward OmniLogic System Keep Shutting Off

Oct 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I’ll try to be brief but thorough. Problems started when my main pool pump would shut off intermittently. Then, it would immediately trip the breaker. So, I knew it was shorted windings/bad motor. I bought a new motor and installed it. It would turn on for a few minutes, and then turn off. If I turned it off in the Hayward app, and then immediately back on, it would run for another few minutes. I thought maybe I had a bad capacitor, so changed that. No luck. Then, I thought it was bad motor, so I switched it with another. Same thing happened.

While this was happening, my flow sensor went bad. I ordered a new one, but temporarily put a shorted phone wire in there to clear the code. Code is clear now, but now my motor only stays on for a few seconds (never several minutes).

I thought this was odd, so I turned on my waterfall motor. It started doing the same thing! Would stay on for a few seconds, and then turn off. If I turned the valves to do half waterfall and half bubbler, the same motor would stay on BUT it seems to turn off/on every few seconds (like it loses power temporarily for a fraction of a second).

Something is making a creaking noise near my skimmer when motor is on now (I think it’s a new sound). Do I have a blockage that is limiting flow perhaps?

Is my control board bad? I’m at a loss!
Edit: Receiving a MSP_DEV_COMM_LOSS,Comm Loss Device:00-46-03-73-62 HUA:MSP error too.

Edit 2: I checked main pool pump voltage between L1/L2. It goes from 240 to 0 when turning off, so that indicates control board issue?
On water features motor, when it is waterfall/bubbler tougher it drops for split second to 240 down to 230 every few seconds but motor stays on. On waterfall only mode, it drops from 240 to 100 and then motor turns off (I assume because it is undervoltage).
Control board issue?

Last edited:
Follow up for those who search. I decided to switch the relay wires to see if I could get another motor to work. It did! So, I changed the programming to point to new relay, and then changed it back. I wonder if the firmware update screwed something up.

A couple of years since this post, however, @achilles99 I found your post after suffering a similar issue. Hopefully my solution will help someone.

Main components: (all Hayward)
- Omnilogic Controller. (current version firmware)
- pH sense and dosing pump.
- VSD filter pump.
- Single speed pump. (Paramount in-floor cleaning)
- EnergyLine inverter 12kW heatpump.

So I noticed that the leaves and debris weren't being cleared from the pool floor a week or so ago. I found that our single speed pump which drives the Paramount in-floor system was not operating as per the daily schedule. It would turn on for about 10 seconds (sometime more, sometime less) and then stop.

I first checked the pump current draw and tested the motor etc (I'm an industrial electrician by trade so standard operating procedures for me) Motor is fine. I then went into the Omnilogic service mode and switched the HVR1 (high voltage relay) on manually - pump ran just fine continuously. The HVR's are rated at 30A so a little 6A pump (even switching on every day for years) should have no problems. I considered wiring in slave relays to drive the pumps and saving the onboard HVR's but that's another post. I then deleted all the pre-programmed schedules in case they were corrupted somehow - then re-programmed them. Same result. Pump came on and then went off as before.

Next stop was entering the Config menu (not via Service Mode, from the main menu) and deleting the in-floor cleaner device from the Omnilogic devices menu in case that part of the programming was corrupted somehow. I deleted the in-floor cleaning device, saved the configuration and rebooted the Omnilogic controller. I then went back in a re-programmed the in-floor cleaning from scratch, assigned HVR1 to the in-floor, added the same schedules as I had before and it is now working as normal.

Hope this helps someone somehow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.