Multi port valve reversing flow through filter?

Blake106

In The Industry
Jan 8, 2020
Hawaii
Hello, I was wondering if a bad multi port could cause the water to reverse flow through filter and essentially backwash dirty water directly back through the returns. This is while I’m in filter mode. This happened after moving the multi port valve using the valve on waste to drain water out to filter. I moved it while pump was off and only in a clockwise direction as per usual. When I turned pump back on in filter mode, there was this massive white cloud coming out of the reruns for about 30 seconds. Now it’s just a bunch of air and water coming out of the returns. This is a sand filter too btw. Thank you.

Does the handle feel any different when you move it, like more or less resistance than you are used to? Had the pump been off for a long time? Do you top the sand with DE to improve filtering? When was it last backwashed? Having the multiport in waste mode should have bypassed the filter so that when you went back to filter mode there should not have been any dirty water blowing back. If the handle seems good and the pool has been running regularly then you will need to open the multiport valve and check the spider gasket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.