Mulch in fresh plaster

Shouse6107

In The Industry
Mar 25, 2021
Hampton, VA
My company does pool renovations. We recently redid the tiles and plaster in a pool and are currently in the 28 day start up process for the plaster. Today I was brushing the pool and noticed some brown spots so I put my goggles on and got in and noticed that these spots were actually what looks like mulch embedded into the plaster itself. I removed the mulch but now there’s brown stains and some small holes in the plaster. Has anyone run across this before and if so how did you remove the stains?

Probably not mulch but more likely pieces of the paper bag that the plaster came in. The plaster crew mixes up the plaster on site using a large cement mixer & pump. The bags are literally tossed onto a grate with sharp spikes and broken open while mixed with water. Very easy for debris from the bag to get entrained into the plaster mix. Especially true when the plaster crew is inexperienced.

With the source gone chlorine should get rid of the stains. You can try rubbing the area with a trichlor puck to see if it helps but you don’t want to do that for too long or else you can bleach the plaster. You can also try vitamin c tablets crushed up into a thin sock and applied to the area for 5mins or so to see if the stain lifts.

As for the holes, not much you can do but try to use some underwater pool patch if they are big. Otherwise, just leave them alone. Anything you add to fill the holes is probably going to look worse than the holes themselves.

Reactions: Shouse6107
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.