Mud Daubers,Bees and Hornets

Some people speak about placing water traps or treats away from the pool to encourage them elsewhere, but it's always tough. We get dive-bombed by Yellow Jackets all the time. Bumble Bees kind of stay to themselves, but they are all intimidating.

Ugh, I HATE wasps, mud daubers, hornets and all their stinging relatives! I wage war with them every year. The most effective things I have found are 1) fake wasp nests hanging nearby, 2) regular inspection for any nest building and immediately zapping at sunset when they are all back in their nests, then knocking down nest and stomping on it repeatedly (that might be a bit of overkill).

3) I use Skill-it algaecide, not for algae but because it changes the surface tension of the water so When they land on it they sink a bit and can’t fly away, so they drown. VERY satisfying. The first time I used it a couple of years ago, I found about 20 dead wasps in the pool - it was great. Now I touch it up every week to two weeks. I don’t find as many because I think the wasp-word has spread and they no longer think of my pool as a watering hole.

4) Lastly, I keep pool net nearby especially if I am in the pool. If one tries anything, I grab the net and hold it under water until it stops kicking.

Disclaimer: If I see a honey bee trying to land, I scoop it and relocate it. I don’t want to kill bees, but I don’t mind killing their nastier cousins.

Ugh, I HATE wasps, mud daubers, hornets and all their stinging relatives! I wage war with them every year. The most effective things I have found are 1) fake wasp nests hanging nearby, 2) regular inspection for any nest building and immediately zapping at sunset when they are all back in their nests, then knocking down nest and stomping on it repeatedly (that might be a bit of overkill).

3) I use Skill-it algaecide, not for algae but because it changes the surface tension of the water so When they land on it they sink a bit and can’t fly away, so they drown. VERY satisfying. The first time I used it a couple of years ago, I found about 20 dead wasps in the pool - it was great. Now I touch it up every week to two weeks. I don’t find as many because I think the wasp-word has spread and they no longer think of my pool as a watering hole.

4) Lastly, I keep pool net nearby especially if I am in the pool. If one tries anything, I grab the net and hold it under water until it stops kicking.

Disclaimer: If I see a honey bee trying to land, I scoop it and relocate it. I don’t want to kill bees, but I don’t mind killing their nastier cousins.
Works Great, Thank You.

Reactions: kellyfair
Is there something That will deter honeybees from the area? Their number seem to be increasing by the day. I’d say we could have 8-10 at a time somewhere around the pool. I’ve read somewhere that they’re attracted to the smell of the pool. I don’t know if it matters but, I’ve got a saltwater pool and try to keep the chlorine on the lower side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.