Moving Intex 10 x 20 Ultra Frame Rectangular Pool

Jul 6, 2015
Port Angeles WA
We set up pool two years ago. The level is off and the location is not great. We have never taken pool down it has sat 30% full of water during Winter. We just emptied pool and cleaned. I have been reading a lot about liners becoming unusable after this happens. Does anyone know if that applies to this pool? Plastacides, etc. Also, would anyone know if this might work: 4 adults on the 20 feet side, 2 adults on end for a total of 10 adults - lift pool dry empty and drag over 20 feet to clear the entire ground area so we can correct level. At first we simply added sand (not a lot) but we have a low side. Now we want to put in a 2 x 6 treated boards staked with rebar. Then get some more sand and fill it in. At end of project the total amount of sand considering we used about 2-4 inches at first will now be around 5-8 inches of sand. Intex says no sand but I think that is cause someone set up their pool maybe at the beach or in a non safe way and they now make that statement. I do realize you can't use the sand to actually level. Well, maybe to correct 1-2 inches of difference but not major. My hunch is that is the low down on sand - common sense. Any advice or feedback would be completely welcome and appreciated. I have done so many things wrong so far that it is July and I just cleaned the pool. I am nervous to have more mistakes.

Not building on a beach has nothing to do with why the instructions say not to build on sand. Sand is a very unstable and unsupportive base material. You said it yourself that sand shouldn't be used to level but then you go on to say that you plan on leveling your pool base with 5-8" of sand.

Raising the ground level 5-8" with sand is a pretty bad idea and you won't really like the results when the support legs in the sand sink down the first time it rains. Also a 2x6 on edge won't be able to withstand the outward pressure of the fill you are trying to retain.

If you absolutely must raise the land use a compactable fill such as road base, quarry process, or 2 inch minus. The name of it varies from region to region but it will consist of crushed rock and sand with no organic material. When properly compacted with a vibrating plate compactor the fill will be very hard and you will be able to drive a truck over it without leaving tire prints in it. The edge of the fill should be sloped away at a shallow angle or retained with solid retaining material.

You cannot use sand to level your area especially that high.. Your local supply of gravel and dirt will have a mix especially for packing hard. Only do 3 inches at most at a time before compacting. then you could use sand once everything is level and compacted for the last inch just for padding under your pool..
For edging you would be better off with landscaping ties more wood to work with when staking. You can go around and level them and have it set for your final height and just work within them.

Intex pools are designed to be taken down every winter.its the traditional vinyl liners inside a metal or resin walled pool that cannot dry out.
ummm I took ours down 1 year... Next year half dozen pin holes from being folded and put away.. Next year left up and full (below the return/suction) no issues at all...

WEll other than the bone headed move of not having help take the cover off, and dumping junk in pool..:confused:

We set up pool two years ago. The level is off and the location is not great. We have never taken pool down it has sat 30% full of water during Winter. We just emptied pool and cleaned. I have been reading a lot about liners becoming unusable after this happens. Does anyone know if that applies to this pool? Plastacides, etc. Also, would anyone know if this might work: 4 adults on the 20 feet side, 2 adults on end for a total of 10 adults - lift pool dry empty and drag over 20 feet to clear the entire ground area so we can correct level. At first we simply added sand (not a lot) but we have a low side. Now we want to put in a 2 x 6 treated boards staked with rebar. Then get some more sand and fill it in. At end of project the total amount of sand considering we used about 2-4 inches at first will now be around 5-8 inches of sand. Intex says no sand but I think that is cause someone set up their pool maybe at the beach or in a non safe way and they now make that statement. I do realize you can't use the sand to actually level. Well, maybe to correct 1-2 inches of difference but not major. My hunch is that is the low down on sand - common sense. Any advice or feedback would be completely welcome and appreciated. I have done so many things wrong so far that it is July and I just cleaned the pool. I am nervous to have more mistakes.

10 4 on the advice. I will have to rake sand off to side use better material and then bring back no more than one inch of sand? Not sure what I was thinking. How about the idea of 10 people moving pool empty but with all the supports is that ok? Finally, did anyone see how this lady did her pool this is how I will do it which is what you guys pretty much shared. Thank you.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 43
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 43
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 43
Take a peak at my build photos it shows how I lifted my base. I had some rock problems and couldn't dig down to level.

If you have enough coordinated help I don't see why you couldn't move an empty pool still set up. Even 1 inch of water still in that pool will weigh close to 2000 pounds so when you say empty think shop vac the bottom empty.

Thank you again. I did use shop vac. Funny you say that I was wondering while doing is there a better way? Totally empty now. And your pool set up is very professional. Your foundation boards look expensive. That is my only concern. And the material you said that has sand well if I can get it w/o sand and just leave my 2 inches of sand then I can simply blend it compact it and go with one inch sand over top. I think I know how to communicate that I ask for gravel without fines. Might be a lot of work. I will tell the gravel company what I am trying to achieve and see what they recommend. This is a job where teenage helpers is a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.