Moving from Cartridge to DE, what system to use?

rwrogers11 said:
Right now I have the Hayward star-clear c500, 50sq ft. which should handle our 7500 gallons with no problem.
Handle yes, but the tfp recommendation would be a 112 sq. ft. cart for your pool, and that would reduce the frequency of cleanings needed.

How often are you having to clean?
What is the clean filter pressure?
At what pressure do you switch filters?
Is one of your filters "better" than the other?

I'm with Robbie on this one, my sand filter gives me crystal clear water...so I would guess something else is going on here.

My filters are both Hayward filters, the dealer gave me two when I bought the system.

The clean pressure is about 13psi, by the time I swap them they are up to about 22psi.
I'm having to rinse them every other day and clean them every weekend.

rwrogers11 said:
The clean pressure is about 13psi, by the time I swap them they are up to about 22psi.
I'm having to rinse them every other day and clean them every weekend.
I believe when pumps are correctly sized to cart filters, the pressure tends to run much lower than 13 psi (more like 3-4 I think), so this backs up our concerns about your pump size.

Our recommendation on here is to clean the filter when the psi rises 25%, so I think you are waiting to long and that is part of the problem. Even with a small filter like you have, that cleaning frequency seems to high to me. Are you getting a lot of junk and organics in your pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rwrogers11 said:
Cool, well thanks for everyones help and input. Now I just have to see which is better, smaller pump or larger filter. I'm always one for going bigger, hence the 1HP pump, but I'll have to see on the cost difference.
Big pumps are almost always a bad idea, unless some water feature requires it...but big filters...especially carts are generally a good idea (backwash requirements on sand filters limit how big you can go for a given pump).

With that said, your pump is not monstrously big so I would focus on finding a more appropriate filter size.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.