moving an Intex XTR larger pool to different spot in yard

Jun 19, 2017
Siloam Springs, Ar
OK, I'm asking for a friend about moving their pool. They have issues with spot it is in and want to move it over a ways. It is and Intex XTR large pool and per what I've read on here and videos I've seen from different pool installers, I told them I would be worried about how long the pool would sit empty, weather temperature, and the process messing with the liner. I know iIhave read different places as well as on here that people DO this, but you never hear how many had leaks afterwards. It is my opinion that the first time these pools are put up and filled, that the liner has something in it that maybe stretches it out and when it is drained to empty, if left sit in sun or warm weather too long, when they fill back up the liner will not stretch out again. I don't know if that makes any sence, but I always come here for advise and I told them I would check it out. It was my understanding that the heat will make them shrink back up some (it's something the liner is made of that makes it stetch out in the first place), then when refilled they wont stretch out again. Even if it took them most of the day to take down and relocate, would this be and advisable thing to do? Anyone know anything and have advise on this? They are wondering if it would be safer if they waited until the weather cooled down to do this, or if it would even be a good idea. I dont like the idea of refilling a completely empty pool of this type UNLESS you can do it immediately, like a drain and refill for water purposes. I feel like I'm rambling here, I know what I"m thinking, but can't seem to get it in the right words! lol Thanks for any help or ideas on this that I can pass along.

Many people take their intex pools down every year & store them for the winter- they are designed to be seasonal pools. This will not affect the liner unless it’s damaged in the process.
I think you may have this confused with a permanent vinyl lined above ground pool. Those (permanent vinyl liners) will in fact shrink when left empty as they are made with a different material that is designed to stretch into place.
I have moved multiple intex style pools to new locations without issue.
Btw - heat makes vinyl pliable & stretchy
Cold makes vinyl shrink & become more firm.
The most important thing for any style above ground pool install is ground prep & having a level surface as the liner & the frame work together for structural integrity.
Another thing to note is to use caution when disassembling & reassembling to avoid scratching the coating off the frame. If this occurs it’s a good idea to hit those areas with some rust inhibiting paint to prevent premature corrosion.

Last edited:
Reactions: charliej
Thank you so much. I guess I didnt realize the difference in the different types of vinyl liners and connection to this situation. I know the hard sided, more expensive pools have a totally different looking liner and are certainly NOT like the Intex style pools. I will pass this on and yes, I warned them about the supports and not to throw them down or scratch them when dissembling or reassembling them. Thank you so much. This site is always so helpful.

Keep in mind too that the Intex style liners have the big holes/slats for the frame to fit through, with a lot of room for error. It’s basically a bag full of water that levels/stretches itself.

Traditional above ground pools have a liner track that pretty much needs to line up perfectly or an overlap that could be way out of whack.

• Wow
Reactions: charliej
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.