Mounting location for Power Center

badams

Bronze Supporter
Jan 7, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
Hi All,
I am going to be installing a 24' used above ground pool this spring, I already have a spot where power is run out in the yard but it is quite a distance from the house. I am so far looking at getting the Pentair IC40. I do not have a problem with the hows of the electrical but is there a common practice for how to mount the power center in a remote location? My thought was to build a small lean-to from 4x4s and a slanted roof of some sort and mount the power center to the back wall, maybe corrugated metal roofing or to make it look nicer some plywood with asphalt shingles. Is this overthinking it, or would just 2 4x4s with it mounted on plywood in between suffice?

The pool and electrical connections are a good 20-30' from the house.

Welcome to TFP!

Existing wiring is unlikely to meet the code requirements for pool wiring. Check out article 680 in the NEC for specifics.

I've seen a lot of those just two posts and the power panel mounted to them, but I don't like it. You're idea of a small 'lean-to' is a good way to do it. It kinda shelters the panel and any equipment you mount under there, AND it looks a lot nicer and more professional.

Welcome to TFP!

Existing wiring is unlikely to meet the code requirements for pool wiring. Check out article 680 in the NEC for specifics.

Unless I am missing something I believe it does meet code its a 20A Breaker, 12AWG in pvc conduit. The underground wire and outlets are going to be more than 10ft from the outer wall, the only questionable part is the buried depth, depending on which part of the yard it may be close to the 18" requirement. All of the receptacle parts at the end I will be redoing anyways to install a hardwired timer, the power panel and a gfi outlet for the pump.

I've seen a lot of those just two posts and the power panel mounted to them, but I don't like it. You're idea of a small 'lean-to' is a good way to do it. It kinda shelters the panel and any equipment you mount under there, AND it looks a lot nicer and more professional.

That is along the lines of what I was thinking, even with the 2 posts I could put a cover of some sorts but adding 2 more posts to stabilize everything and enclose it in a bit better with sidewalls won't cost much more and will probably improve the overall aesthetics. Now to figure out what search terms to use to actually find pictures to get ideas.

Thank you both for the thoughts.

ETA: After looking further into the power centers I believe I am going to go with Hayward AQR15 which has to be directly wired in so I plan to swap out the breaker for a GFCI breaker, which should satisfy that requirement.

Last edited:
The power centers and most SWG systems come with a manual that shows you exact specs of how to mount and where. Most those boxes are completely waterproof and weatherproof. Most important factor is following code for burying conduit and wiring etc and making sure that it is a waterproof connection I would stick with Pentair SWG. Even the Ichlor 30 would work. Hayward systems have a terrible history of shorting out and unless your good at using a soldering iron it’s a matter of time before the board fries. Also the Pentair power center can be mounted on just one 4x4 post. It’s quite small compared to others.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.