Mosquito control

I bought a dynatrap this past weekend when Sams Club ran their 1 day sale ($69 vs $89) - impulse buy - I have an older mosquito magnet that just never seems to catch much - I use the lurex bait with it here in Dallas, but I primarily I spray with Telstar P since the magnet was a disappointment. It’s been a month since I last sprayed and the buggers are back.

I hooked up the mosquitomagnet this past Saturday to compare and put out the dynatrap the same day. Had an old lurex bait that I wedged between the dynatrap and the pole so that the air blew over the bait - now maybe it was luck, maybe it was the location but Monday night the magnet had a teaspoon of dead mosquitos in it, but the dynatrap had about a full cup of dead bugs - at least 1/2-3/4 were mosquitos - a few moths and other assorted bugs but I was astonished at how well it worked. Quite a few were still alive when I opened it, so it may be best to have a can of yard fogger handy to hit them with when you open it.

Overall I am impressed so far - wish sams would have run the sale longer, I would have bought a second unit.

The Dynatrap takes about 2 weeks to break the breeding cycle of mosquitoes. It also matters where you place the unit. Make sure it is about 30 feet away from your sitting area, and no higher then 4 feet above the ground. Try and find a shady area to put it, as mosquitoes love shade, and make sure it’s not competing with other lights at night.

It’s not a “zapper”, it’s a trapper. The light basically attracts flying insects, there’s a special coating on the body of the unit that emits CO2 to attract mosquitoes, when they fly close to the unit, the fan sucks them into the collection basket where they dehydrate and die.

Correct - no zapping, the UV bulb in them only last about 3 months until it weakens to the point that it no longer produces CO2 from the reaction with the coating then you must replace the bulb. I moved my lurex bait to the actual catch bin, I still have 1/2-3/4 a cup of bugs every few days with a huge portion being mosquitoes - the most recent caught ones will still be alive and fly away when you open it - I wish it had a trap door like the magnet does. It attracts by light, heat, and CO2 - similar to the mosquito magnet.

I wish I had bought 2 during the Sams sale.

It’s not a “zapper”, it’s a trapper. The light basically attracts flying insects, there’s a special coating on the body of the unit that emits CO2 to attract mosquitoes, when they fly close to the unit, the fan sucks them into the collection basket where they dehydrate and die.

IMHO those are a serious waste of money. Always having to get more propane. :pth:

Steve, I learned a trick with the dynatrap. I shut it off and tap the side till the louvred doors close. Then I leave it off for a couple of days, and pretty much all the bugs are dead.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DOes anyone has citronella plants, and if you do are they helpful, even for a bit. I do not have a big problem since I get my yard sprayed but more protection is better right.

I was hesitant to buy plants but now I am starting to consider for both landscaping and added protection.

We have them and I put lemon grass in the same pot. So far so good as we see very few mosquitoes. I gentle rub the leaves with two hands and it releases a sent which is faint except on hands. I have my wife and grandkids do the same and thus no issues this year (again so far). The girls understand not to rub there eyes as a precaution...

Bottom line Im a fan!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.