Monthly chemical costs

Oct 16, 2016
Tampa
How much are you all spending monthly on chemicals for a salt water pool? In the first two months I've spent about $100. But that included chlorine tabs that was needed for initial start up and a 25 lb bag of baking soda that I still have plenty of. So maybe my average cost has been around $25-35 a month. This is mid winter so the pool is not getting a lot of use. We're swimming maybe once a week weather dependent of course. And we run the water features a few times per week. So should I expect higher operating costs in the summer with higher temps, more rain, and more use?

It seems like each week that I bring my water sample in, they want me to add acid, shock, or baking soda or all three. I am working through a $250 credit in their store so not a big deal right now. My knowledge level is still low and I'm pretty dependent on them telling me what to do. And advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By following the TFPC Method of pool care, my monthly chemical costs at the height of the swim season are less than $50 per month, that takes into account utility/energy costs since I have a salt water chlorine generator. Please read through all of the material in Pool School and see if TFP is for you. We absolutely teach a DIY method of pool care that does not have you relying on the pool $tore for advice. If you purchase your own high quality test kits (we recommend two different models, either of which is fine) then you'll likely never have to step foot in a pool store again as most of the chemicals you need for your pool can be found in grocery stores and hardware stores or big box and/or warehouse retailers like Walmart or Costco.

Most people that manually chlorinate their pools (using liquid chlorine, not pucks or powders) will tell you that spend ~$40-$50 per month on their pools.

How much are you all spending monthly on chemicals for a salt water pool? In the first two months I've spent about $100. But that included chlorine tabs that was needed for initial start up and a 25 lb bag of baking soda that I still have plenty of. So maybe my average cost has been around $25-35 a month. This is mid winter so the pool is not getting a lot of use. We're swimming maybe once a week weather dependent of course. And we run the water features a few times per week. So should I expect higher operating costs in the summer with higher temps, more rain, and more use?

It seems like each week that I bring my water sample in, they want me to add acid, shock, or baking soda or all three. I am working through a $250 credit in their store so not a big deal right now. My knowledge level is still low and I'm pretty dependent on them telling me what to do. And advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Like JoyfulNoise, I spend no more than $40 per month in the summer. Of that amount, $30 is for the electricity cost to run the pump and SWG. The rest of that is for Muriatic Acid and running my robotic cleaner.

I originally relied on a Pool $tore for testing and chemistry advice. Within 6 months my pool chemistry was so off (CYA over 100) I had to drain it and start over! That episode was nearly $800 in water and unnecessary chemicals. Using the TFP method I not only have a crystal clear, sparking pool, I've saved time, money and angst. Initially the DIY method may seem daunting but the Pool School on this website and the eager-to-help experts here will get you sorted out in no time.

Definitely get one of the recommended test kits. No one can test your pool water better than you can! Trust us, you will be able to easily manage your water balance if you follow the advice from the folks here!

Welcome aboard! :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.