Mixture of pipe size question...

Aug 6, 2022
Arizona
*setup:
2 suction pipes out of the ground (skimmer & vaccuum) to a Jandy leading into the pump.

2 return pipes (water feature & return jets) split off of another Jandy back into the ground.

As I began my PVC/Pump replacement project, I always assumed both my pressure (visible) and suction (hidden by repairs/couplers) were 1.5" PVC.

After digging, I noticed that I have 2" coming from out of the ground on the suction side and 1.5" back into the pool on the pressure end.

1. Is this common and will it cause issues for me down the road? Over pressurized filter?

2. Is it safe to assume everything on the suction side is 2" underground?

I know there's not much I can do, but the mix of pipe sizes came as a surprise.

Thanks!

Last edited:
That seems pretty typical for an AZ pool.
When I installed my new pump and filter, I used 2" for the above ground plumbing as it was easier staying with one size of pipe.

*setup:
2 suction pipes put of the ground (skimmer & vaccuum) to a Jandy leading into the pump.

2 return pipes (water feature & return jets) split off of another Jandy back into the ground.

As I began my PVC/Pump replacement project, I always assumed both my pressure (visible) and suction (hidden by repairs/couplers) were 1.5" PVC.

After digging, I noticed that I have 2" coming from out of the ground on the suction side and 1.5" back into the pool on the pressure end.

1. Is this common and will it cause issues for me down the road? Over pressurized filter?

2. Is it safe to assume everything on the suction side is 2" underground?

I know there's not much I can do, but the mix of pipe sizes came as a surprise.

Thanks!
Quite common. I have 2 inch suction from skimmer and throughout the equipment pad and it goes back to 1.5” to the pool returns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.