germaine58

Jun 1, 2018
Southern NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am filling my water to the correct level and it finally got just over the filter door and is making it's way down the tube to the motor section. I've noticed a very small drip from the pipe connection that goes from tube that leads into the motor; it is not the joint where I tightened the plastic tube onto the pipe leading into the motor, but on the joint between the pipe and motor itself. Is this a problem, because now that I have water in everywhere it would be a hassle to stop the process and take the joint apart. When the season is over, will I need to tape that joint prior to screwing it back in? I have never taken off this joint before but it loosened up a little I think when I was pushing the black tube on it. I've hand tightened it as much as I am physically able, and don't have a wrench or anything that will fit around it to tighten it further. Any help if this is a problem for the season would be helpful! (Note picture below.)

Attachments

• pool joint.jpg
    pool joint.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 9
If its not dripping on anything important and its a small drip it would be safe to leave it as it is. There is a risk of cracking the fitting if it is over tightened. If the drip gets worse you may need to fix it. You can get plugs that screw into the return and skimmer pipe openings. That will allow you to work on the connection without losing a ton of water. You may want to consider using pvc to replumb the pool in the future. It is so much easier to use unions to remove or replace equipment and winterize the pool.

If its not dripping on anything important and its a small drip it would be safe to leave it as it is. There is a risk of cracking the fitting if it is over tightened. If the drip gets worse you may need to fix it. You can get plugs that screw into the return and skimmer pipe openings. That will allow you to work on the connection without losing a ton of water. You may want to consider using pvc to replumb the pool in the future. It is so much easier to use unions to remove or replace equipment and winterize the pool.
The drip is over cement blocks and stone gravel so it won't be a problem there; I'll definitely look into taping the joint or another type of fitting for next year. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.