Microscopic bugs in pool

Hmm, when you say sink to the bottom - do you mean when they die, when they are reproducing, or just to hang out?

This is the only piles I see on the bottom.

The problematic ones so far are the ones floating on the surface of the water (still alive). My net at the skimmer is catching them (and other gunk that's good to get out).

Attachments

• image0(1).jpeg
    image0(1).jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 14
If they are on the bottom they are dead or well on their way.
Pull one of those piles out with a PVC pipe or turkey baster and let them settle in a jar then pour out most of the water and strain out the debris on several paper towels. Use a 10X hand lens or magnifying glass to identify. Yes it is amazing what the filter nets collect and keep out of your filter.

I'll try that if I don't vacuum it out before it gets warm enough to get in.

My bigger problem still though, like I said, is trying to figure out how to get rid of the ones that are alive and well on the surface of the water.

I don't know if they are reproducing in there or if I can get them to die/leave if I keep FC levels up for a few days.

Update: I fished three of them out of the water and 3/3 a water + tee tree oil spray killed them.

Now, (a) how much tea tree oil can I put in the pool to have more systemic effects and (b) can putting tea tree oil into my pool mess anything up with the pool chemistry?

I'd suggest just a few squirts (or drops) after your pump runs so the oil can sit on the surface of the water. It shouldn't affect anything worse than people swimming with sun lotions or oil on. Likely your sand filter will filter most of the oil out next time the pump runs. Bu the way, I pulled a backswimmer out of my pool Saturday night. I hate those things!

If anyone is following the saga or stumbles upon this later:

2 days ago, most of the thrips I fished out were dead
1 day ago, it rained and there was an abundance of thrips again - quite lively

Last night, I added 6oz algicide (Killzall Skill-It) and let it recirculate for 45 min. Then, I turned the pump off and spritzed the sides of the pool and the top of the water with a spray bottle that had maybe 2 cups of water and 50 drops essential oil (tea tree and peppermint).

This morning, 13/15 thrips I fished out were dead and 2 died seconds after I fished them out.

It's supposed to rain again today but I'm feeling a bit optimistic about getting the pool back soon...

(Edited: got the name of the algaecide wrong)

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
My search shows Killzall to be an aquatic herbicide and 41% Glyphosate.
Using this in a swimming pool looks to be an off label use.
Check your product label but I would suggest not using this in your pool water.
I doubt Glyphosate has any direct effect on the thrips. I would steer you toward using a small amount of surfactant like Dawn dish soap or the peppermint oil rather than the herbicide.
My opinion.

Reactions: Newdude
Interesting - thanks for the info! It was recommended by someone on another forum (before I somewhat knew what I was doing with my pool chemistry and found TFP) to combat a wasp problem. The bottle has pool treatment instructions specifically. But, I have regular algecide too.

After today's rain, I'll probably go back over with the peppermint oil again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The bottle has pool treatment instructions specifically. But, I have regular algecide too.

After today's rain, I'll probably go back over with the peppermint oil again.
Ok, if it has a pool treatment on the label it's different than my search results. Does it list the active ingredient?
Many herbicides include a surfactant or wetting agent that will kill soft bodied insects all by themselves. Best to use "soft" products in your pool water when targeting insects to avoid bad reactions with swimmers. Is your pool too large to tarp at night or when not swimming as long as the thrips are around? I suspect they will cycle out soon but I'm not familiar with your part of the country.

Sorry, I actually posted misinformation pre-coffee! It was actually Skill-it algaecide --- it had a kill in it....
Ok that product is different and yes it is labeled as an algaecide for pools but I would avoid using for algae or thrips.

I found this in the TFP wiki on Algaecides.... Biodex Skill-It is an ammonia based algaecide. Ammonia based products are the lower end non-metalic algaecides and can cause foaming and chlorine demand issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.