MI Intex owners: Winterizing Newbie

May 12, 2017
S. E Michigan
Anyone in Michigan that leaves their Intex up year round?

This is our first year with our 18x52 Ultra Frame Intex Pool. Sadly, the temperatures here in Michigan have not allowed for swimming and now its time to think about closing up. Pool has been sitting at 70 for a few weeks now since our night temps have dipped into the 40s already. Initially, I was just going to drain the entire pool, wipe and dry it out really good and then just cover it up. I am not worried about having to completely refill in the spring and thought this may be the best option? Am I wrong? Is this a terrible idea? Is it bad for an "empty" pool to sit up? Is is the frozen water that damages the liner, or is it just the cold temps in general?

We worked very hard leveling out our pool and doing landscaping around it (TONS of river rock surround it) and each "leg" sits on a cement footer with a tarp and gorilla pad underneath. It is bonded on I believe 4 of the legs with wire....And in all honesty, if we do a complete take down, I dont even know where we would store it.

I would love to hear your advice and experiences.

I am not familiar with an Intex Pool, but I believe you can take everything apart and just plug the return going into the pool. Close as instructed in the closing an AGP and cover for the winter.

If you take some pictures of everything, I will be glad to help.

EDIT:

As per thread below, do not drain pool. Only bring up to Shock Level and add algaecide.

First off, do NOT NOT NOT drain the pool and leave it up empty. The walls could collapse from wind or snow and the liner could dry out and be brittle. You never want to leave a pool empty. I had intex for about 4 years before my pool. It is ok to leave the pool full with water and let it freeze. I'm in NY and did that. You must drain the pool below the returns so that the ice doesn't damage the intake and return. You can either periodically drain it below the returns when it rains with a submersible pump or you can use those little black caps to plug the lines but those arent really the best "plugs" for water like a true AGP has to plug the water.

I'm in southern New England and leave the pool up. I drain to below my skimmer & return fitting and cover the pool with an oversized cover. The pool is pretty much frozen from December to March. This year will be my third winter with this pool.

This pic is from March of this year:

IMG_9689.jpg

Oh, thanks for the picture! Here are some pictures of my setup right now, so I am hoping to do the same. Michigan winters can be hit or miss. We had a mild one last year, but these early cold temps in September make me worry! I hate winter! Assuming I would need to buy a "winter" cover since the one that came with my pool would not be good enough? What exactly is your close up setup in the above picture? Is that just a tarp? What is floating inside?

CYv0L2f.jpg

3L9DSNN.jpg

uW2KaMu.jpg

That is a winter cover for a 21' pool. Using an oversized cover lets me 'hug' the inside wall so when it fills with water it does not put excessive force pulling in on the walls.

Those are standard air pillows under the cover, I use them so the ice has something other than the liner to push against and take up the expansion.

Two 4 x 8 pillows. You can see them in this pic, under the leaf net. They are tied together, then loosely tied to the pool so they don't move around under the cover.

IMG_8780.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.