MGM Grand Las Vegas lazy river pool water test and more

civicturbo

Well-known member
Apr 15, 2010
173
Las Vegas
Having fun with my new DPD-FAS kit. I took home some water after spending the weekend getting a little sun burned at the MGM Grand pool complex. Even though by the end of Saturday the lazy river pool had lots of debris in it and litterly thousands of alluminum beer bottles scattered on the deck the whole 100ft. around the river(drunks are litterbugs :-D ), and the area by Wet rebulic stand like a dumpster. It was fun and the water didn't look too bad. The water sample numbers were from 4pm the next day.
FC: 2
CC: .4
PH: 7.4
TA: 70
CYA: 0, TESTED IT TWICE, yup still zero.
CH: 140
tasted salty when I was under the big waterfall, my ppm tester for home tap water maxes at 999 and the pool water maxed it out. So probaly a SWG system, makes sense.

Interesting stuff, I speculate that the TA is kept toward the low end of the range to be able to more easily move the PH up or down as needed. The absents of CYA I suspect is to be able to keep the chlorine at max killing abilty at the FC level they like to run. As far as sun burn off I guess It dosen't matter with a salt system, as you can just turn up the output as needed, dosen't really cost alot more as compared to non generator methods of adding liquid chlorine.

--Since this is the coffee bar and conversations can generate good thought and chain to related topics, I don't mind If we don't follow the normal "stay on topic" guideline in this thread. Lets just have fun. :-D
 

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
12,082
San Rafael, CA USA
Re: MGM Grand Las Vegas lazy river pool water test

civicturbo said:
CYA: 0, TESTED IT TWICE, yup still zero.
:
Interesting stuff, I speculate that the TA is kept toward the low end of the range to be able to more easily move the PH up or down as needed. The absents of CYA I suspect is to be able to keep the chlorine at max killing abilty at the FC level they like to run. As far as sun burn off I guess It dosen't matter with a salt system, as you can just turn up the output as needed, dosen't really cost alot more as compared to non generator methods of adding liquid chlorine.
It is not uncommon for commercial pools with high bather loads to have no CYA since much of the chlorine demand is from the bather load so that lost from sunlight is proportionately not horrible. And yes, with a saltwater chlorine generator, they can generate more chlorine relatively inexpensively, though would need to initially size their SWG unit accordingly. However, 2 ppm FC with no CYA is over 20 times higher in active chlorine concentration than in most residential TFP pools and is overkill. It will likely result in faster degradation of swimsuits and oxidation of skin and hair and production of more nitrogen trichloride. In an outdoor pool the nitrogen trichloride might not be as noticeable, but in an indoor pool it can be a problem.

Another reason for the high active chlorine level is to try and oxidize bather waste quickly enough, but the CC is still at 0.4 ppm in spite of their efforts. If they had CYA in the water, it would probably be a lot higher, but with less nitrogen trichloride. The better solution in high bather load situations is supplemental oxidation such as UV, ozone, non-chlorine shock (MPS) or enzymes so that one can use CYA to moderate chlorine's strength and have less detrimental effects on swimsuits, skin and hair and also reduce the amount of disinfection by-products.

The lower TA level helps stabilize the pH because a higher TA results in faster carbon dioxide outgassing which raises the pH.

By the way, the FC level was likely higher than you tested since there was a delay between water collection and testing (I assume you kept the bottle out of the sun). Depending on temperature, the FC level was probably closer to 3 ppm at the time you took the sample.
 
G

Guest

Re: MGM Grand Las Vegas lazy river pool water test

I doubt it is a SWCG pool, as most commercial pools are just not set up for that. I am impressed with the CH level, and wondering how they have it that low (I am pretty familiar with their CH from the tap out there, as we have a guy that represents us in Vegas and lives there. I might even ask him to go by and take his own tests :cool:

We are working with several pools in Las Vegas currently to supply R/O filtration in the pools. They are big on not draining, and they are very interested in implementing our technology on these pools. Should be interesting!
 

civicturbo

Well-known member
Apr 15, 2010
173
Las Vegas
Re: MGM Grand Las Vegas lazy river pool water test

chem geek said:
civicturbo said:
By the way, the FC level was likely higher than you tested since there was a delay between water collection and testing (I assume you kept the bottle out of the sun). Depending on temperature, the FC level was probably closer to 3 ppm at the time you took the sample.
I took the sample at 4pm sunday aug. 29th and tested it by at 5pm when we got home.

I'm curious about what you said about CYA, I'm curently installing a SWG at my equip slab, and plan on a fun drain/refill. I'm near the bottm of my 45 lb bucket of 3" pucks and my CYA used to be 60. after using some Leslies Ultra bright, Leslies Black Algae killer and I can't remeber what else my CYA consistanly reads over 100. I havn't added any CYA since I ran out 5 months ago. I don't know how it got soo high. So my question is this; Right now were not using the pool and the FC is a 7.5 Is that too high to go into or is it ok because of the high CYA level?
 

civicturbo

Well-known member
Apr 15, 2010
173
Las Vegas
Re: MGM Grand Las Vegas lazy river pool water test

simicrintz said:
I doubt it is a SWCG pool, as most commercial pools are just not set up for that. I am impressed with the CH level, and wondering how they have it that low (I am pretty familiar with their CH from the tap out there, as we have a guy that represents us in Vegas and lives there. I might even ask him to go by and take his own tests :cool:

We are working with several pools in Las Vegas currently to supply R/O filtration in the pools. They are big on not draining, and they are very interested in implementing our technology on these pools. Should be interesting!
Yeah water quality can be a problem, I read recently one vegas pool is dumping 250,000 a week or month to just start over again and again because of CC or cloudyness or something :shock:

I looked into the RO stuff, as I have one under my sink, and was intriged by the "swim in bottled water" advertising wrap on a van I saw in Minneapolis, mn. I turns out it was for Ecosmarte mineral system.
I read about the real big RO's used on pools as a service, pretty cool.
 

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
12,082
San Rafael, CA USA
Re: MGM Grand Las Vegas lazy river pool water test

civicturbo said:
chem geek said:
civicturbo said:
By the way, the FC level was likely higher than you tested since there was a delay between water collection and testing (I assume you kept the bottle out of the sun). Depending on temperature, the FC level was probably closer to 3 ppm at the time you took the sample.
I took the sample at 4pm sunday aug. 29th and tested it by at 5pm when we got home.

I'm curious about what you said about CYA, I'm curently installing a SWG at my equip slab, and plan on a fun drain/refill. I'm near the bottm of my 45 lb bucket of 3" pucks and my CYA used to be 60. after using some Leslies Ultra bright, Leslies Black Algae killer and I can't remeber what else my CYA consistanly reads over 100. I havn't added any CYA since I ran out 5 months ago. I don't know how it got soo high. So my question is this; Right now were not using the pool and the FC is a 7.5 Is that too high to go into or is it ok because of the high CYA level?
Thanks for clarifying the timeframe -- I was thinking it was the next day. One hour shouldn't have any significant decline so long as the sample tube was kept out of sunlight.

For every 10 ppm FC added by Trichlor, it also increases CYA by 6 ppm. So it is not surprising for your CYA level to have risen. Even with a low 1 ppm FC per day chlorine usage, Trichlor will increase CYA by over 100 ppm in 6 months if there is no water dilution.

Your FC of 7.5 is fine with the CYA of 100 ppm. It's roughly equivalent to a pool with around 0.8 ppm FC and no CYA so less than most indoor pools and others with no CYA (such as the MGM Grand pool). In fact, it's pretty much the minimum FC you should have in a manually dosed pool at that CYA level anyway.
 
G

Guest

Re: MGM Grand Las Vegas lazy river pool water test

civicturbo said:
simicrintz said:
I doubt it is a SWCG pool, as most commercial pools are just not set up for that. I am impressed with the CH level, and wondering how they have it that low (I am pretty familiar with their CH from the tap out there, as we have a guy that represents us in Vegas and lives there. I might even ask him to go by and take his own tests :cool:

We are working with several pools in Las Vegas currently to supply R/O filtration in the pools. They are big on not draining, and they are very interested in implementing our technology on these pools. Should be interesting!
Yeah water quality can be a problem, I read recently one vegas pool is dumping 250,000 a week or month to just start over again and again because of CC or cloudyness or something :shock:

I looked into the RO stuff, as I have one under my sink, and was intriged by the "swim in bottled water" advertising wrap on a van I saw in Minneapolis, mn. I turns out it was for Ecosmarte mineral system.
I read about the real big RO's used on pools as a service, pretty cool.
The problem with the ones under the sink is that they recover about 10% of the water in the process ( :shock: ), where we recover around 85% :cool:

And yeah, that is definitely "something" in that pool (I think you read one of my posts, as I know that pool!)! Trust me, you couldn't get me in that pool.....
 

civicturbo

Well-known member
Apr 15, 2010
173
Las Vegas
Re: MGM Grand Las Vegas lazy river pool water test

-SIM I was suprised to find out most under the counter RO's waste 4-5 gallons of water per 1 gallon of purified water. I might use 16 oz every other day on average. We buy Nestles pure life water from Sams club for something like 11 cents a bottle. So mostly I just make ice and koolaid with the RO. It's just soo conveinent to grab a cold water out of the fridg to go. Before we started buying cheap bottled water 4 years ago I would say I drank some gatoraid and mostly Coke with every meal, and never water. Now I grab one or two a day to just drink. Also we moved to Las Vegas (very dry) one year ago. The doctor out here said your suposed to drink 1 gallon of water a day :shock: :shock:

Here are my test numbers (DPD-FAS KIT)
Water from the kitchen faucet (whole house softened by WaterBoss 900 softener then goes thru two omni filters w/carbon pleted carts.)
From the kitchen faucet:
FC: <.2
CC: <.2
PH: 7.8
TA: 150
CH: too low to register
CYA: 0
PPM:540

From the RO sysem faucet:
PPM: 17
-the rest TO BE TESTED-

Nestles purelife water:
ppm: 60
 
Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
K Introduce Yourself 2
Juggalo_931 Above Ground Pools 68

Other Threads of Interest